Thread: Profile problem

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Personal folders: The path specified for the file (Inbox) is not valid.

This resulted from my trying to sync computers using a flash drive, and (obviously) making a mistake in the process. I can make it valid by inserting the flash drive, but I would like to restore the profile to the default first and worry about where the (replaceable) data is later. Only two files are affected, but whatever its location the profile should be intact.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the following:
    - Quit (all instances of) Outlook.
    - Open the Mail control panel (if you're using Category view in Control Panel, click Other Control Panel Options in the task pane on the left hand side)
    - Click "Data Files".
    - Does that give a clue?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='786319' date='26-Jul-2009 14:06']Try the following:
    - Quit (all instances of) Outlook.
    - Open the Mail control panel (if you're using Category view in Control Panel, click Other Control Panel Options in the task pane on the left hand side)
    - Click "Data Files".
    - Does that give a clue?[/quote]

Thanks for the swift answer. I haven not found the Mail control panel, and I apologize for not specifying that it is a standalone Office 2007 Ultimate under Vista Home Premium installation, and the Mail is strictly in Outlook. The second problem is Calendar, also in Outlook, so mail alone isn't going to help. It has occurred to me that Microsoft Office Diagnostics might correct it, but I think there is a neater and swifter, albeit manual, means.

In the both cases, I believe that the destination is \Personal Folders\Inbox (or Calendar), and it would be under my username, but the full path eludes me at present. Given the full and correct path I think I can correct it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Mail control panel is installed with Outlook, it lets you configure e-mail accounts, data files and profiles for Outlook. Try switching to Classic View in Control Panel, you should see Mail then. If you're using 64 bit Vista, open "View 32-bit Control Panels", Mail should be in there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='786323' date='26-Jul-2009 15:38']The Mail control panel is installed with Outlook, it lets you configure e-mail accounts, data files and profiles for Outlook. Try switching to Classic View in Control Panel, you should see Mail then. If you're using 64 bit Vista, open "View 32-bit Control Panels", Mail should be in there.[/quote]

I forgot to mention that it was 64-bit.

Superbly done, Hans, and thank you very much. I think I can take it from here, but you just saved me a huge amount of work.