Thanks
    With apologies for some partial advertising, here is an article on the pros and cons of backing up Windows Server 2008 to NAS or to a locally-attached external hard drive. There are also some interesting backup rate statistics for various devices (link is to a PDF).

The principles could well apply to any form of PC backup, especially one using the Volume Shadow/Snapshot Service (VSS), like Shadow Protect does.

I'd be interest in people's views on the correctness or otherwise of the conclusions reached in the article. Specifically, the comment about needing a network driver when doing a bare-metal restore from a NAS device.

I was in the throes of looking at NAS devices for backing up my small home menagerie of PCs and laptops, and am now wondering whether I shouldn't instead go for an external hard drive, with eSATA and USB interfaces.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='786371' date='27-Jul-2009 06:59']With apologies for some partial advertising, here is an article on the pros and cons of backing up Windows Server 2008 to NAS or to a locally-attached external hard drive. There are also some interesting backup rate statistics for various devices (link is to a PDF).

The principles could well apply to any form of PC backup, especially one using the Volume Shadow/Snapshot Service (VSS), like Shadow Protect does.

I'd be interest in people's views on the correctness or otherwise of the conclusions reached in the article. Specifically, the comment about needing a network driver when doing a bare-metal restore from a NAS device.

I was in the throes of looking at NAS devices for backing up my small home menagerie of PCs and laptops, and am now wondering whether I shouldn't instead go for an external hard drive, with eSATA and USB interfaces.[/quote]

Depending on your budget, I recommend you look at Windows Home Server – media server, backup and data recovery solution. Once setup a backup scheme for a PC it will be backed up automatically. You get to decide on backup retention. Easily expandable storage - hot plug, USB, eSata. The system asks you how you want to use the new drive and away you go. NOTE: You can connect up to 10 PCs to WHS.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='786373' date='27-Jul-2009 13:29']Depending on your budget, I recommend you look at Windows Home Server – media server, backup and data recovery solution. Once setup a backup scheme for a PC it will be backed up automatically. You get to decide on backup retention. Easily expandable storage - hot plug, USB, eSata. The system asks you how you want to use the new drive and away you go. NOTE: You can connect up to 10 PCs to WHS.[/quote]
    Thanks, Joe - that would probably be a neat solution if I had a spare PC with lots of disk space available. Unfortunately the WHS software itself costs (in the UK at least) about the same price as a 1TB external hard disk. So seems a non-starter unless I spend £lots more than I'd intended...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='786381' date='27-Jul-2009 08:03']Thanks, Joe - that would probably be a neat solution if I had a spare PC with lots of disk space available. Unfortunately the WHS software itself costs (in the UK at least) about the same price as a 1TB external hard disk. So seems a non-starter unless I spend £lots more than I'd intended...[/quote]

Unless you already have backup software on all your PCs you need to consider that cost also. I realize that WHS may not be cheap particularly on your side of the Atlantic. I've not priced what a WHS OEM machine costs in your part of the world. I guess it will be substantially more than in the USA.

Joe
    Joe