Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello everyone. I'm not totally certain this topic should go in this thread so if it should be elsewhere, mod's, of course feel free to move it. Thanks.

Okay, I have a basic network setup at home. I have a Netopia wireless DSL router and connected to that I have a small network switch. In this room I have 6 personal PC's connected, all wired directly into either the Netopia or the switch. All of the PC's are running Windows XP Professional except for one, which is running Windows Server 2008.

On 2 of the personal PC's I have Microsoft Virtual PC installed and have a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine on each of them. So that makes a total of 3 instances of Windows Server 2008 on my network - one installed directly on a PC and the other two being virtual machines. They each have hard coded IP address information and can ping the gateway (the Netopia) and devices on the Internet (I can ping yahoo.com, for instance).

Here's some background on why I'm asking for help. My problem arises when I try to go through some exercises where I'm trying to get these 3 2008 servers to communicate with each other. The firewall's on them are off (I did this as a step to resolve the issue but it didn't make a difference) and they cannot ping one another. I tried to go through some Active Directory Domain Services and DNS exercises but couldn't get through half of them because the servers aren't communicating, or aren't able to communicate over the network.

The exercise where I get stuck is trying to have me create a manual zone delegation. The exercise wants me to create a new zone in the forward lookup zones, which I'm able to accomplish. When I get to the part where it wants me to create a new delegation, that's where I get stuck. I put in the static IP address and it doesn't work. I get some error message (I can't remember what it says specifically) but I know it has to do with the servers not being able to communicate.

Any help you can give me would be great.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a more complex setup than our typical home network, and I don't guarantee we will be able to solve it!

I have a lot of questions to try and help us understand your problem.
    • Are all of your PCs using a single subnet?
    • Are the Netopia and network switch set up as a single flat subnet?
    • Does the Netopia have a DHCP service? Is it offering the correct address and subnet to the PCs without hard coded addresses?
    • Can other PCs on your network ping each other?
    • If you configure a Windows XP virtual PC then can it successfully communicate with other PCs on the network?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My bad. I should have filled out more of the network information for you all. Here's more to work with.

1) All of the PC's are on the same subnet. It's the typical home subnet of 192.168.1.x/24
    2) Yes, the Netopia and switch are setup as a single flat subnet.
    3) Yes, the Netopia does have DHCP Server turned on and yes, it is offering the correct address and subnet to the DHCP clients.
    4) Yes, other PC's can ping each other. This is an interesting question because it brings to mind an exercise I did a month ago or so where I had one Windows Vista Enterprise virtual machine that I wanted to have log into a domain provided by a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine. That took some finnagling to accomplish only I can't remember what I ended up having to do, darnit. Maybe that would resolve the issue I'm now having.
    5) I'll have to see how that Vista machine is working, if that will work instead of an XP virtual machine. I haven't turned on that Vista vm for a good month now so I'll also poke around inside of it and see if I can determine what I did to make it possible for it to log into the Windows Server 2008 provided domain.

I definitely understand if this is above and beyond what is normally done on these boards. I'm honestly thinking that it doesn't have so much to do with the operating systems and domain type stuff as it does just a basic networking problem that I'm having a hard time seeing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Forget all the domain and Server 2008 stuff for now.

If you have a simple subnet 192.168.1.x/24
    AND this is correctly configured on all the PCs
    AND there are no firewalls enabled
    THEN all the PCs should be able to ping each other

SO
    either there is a firewall in there somewhere
    OR the network is not configured the way you think
    OR there is something very odd about Virtual PC or Windows Server 2008 that we both don't know

That is why I suggested putting up a Windows XP virtual PC to see how that behaves.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll put up the Vista virtual machine and check it out. I'll disable all firewalls on all PC's to be sure, too. What would you have me check regarding the network not being configured the way I think?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='telecomguy9' post='786425' date='27-Jul-2009 17:47']What would you have me check regarding the network not being configured the way I think?[/quote]
    For the logical network you could check the output of IPCONFIG on all PCs - look at address, subnet mask and default gateway.
    For the physical network it's just a matter of double checking all the cables, but I doubt that this will be your problem!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought it would be that easy but I wanted to check and make sure. I'll let you know what I find. I'm assuming it will be okay if I only check all of this information on the PC's that are running the Windows Server 2008 vm's (and the one PC that has that OS installed as it's only OS) and then the Netopia router as well. That's what I plan to check unless you tell me otherwise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='telecomguy9' post='786429' date='27-Jul-2009 18:08']... I'm assuming it will be okay if I only check all of this information on the PC's that are running the Windows Server 2008 vm's (and the one PC that has that OS installed as it's only OS) and then the Netopia router as well. That's what I plan to check unless you tell me otherwise.[/quote]
    It won't do any harm to check the other PCs too, it only takes a few seconds.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Okay, I checked out all the PC's and the Netopia and here's what I found. Everything appears to be fine. They all have IP addresses in the same subnet. Every IP is in the following range:

192.168.1.x

Every subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and every gateway is 192.168.1.254. On the server vm's I have set the DNS address to the same IP as the gateway. Everything looks fine and I can ping almost everything - I just can't ping that one server that's giving me a problem.

Something I did see but can't figure out is that this server that I seem to be having issues with will stop responding to pings. I did a constant ping on it and I'm not sure how long it had been, 5-10 minutes, and the constant ping started coming up empty. After getting back into that server (via RDP) and ping the gateway the constant ping started getting a response. It was acting as if the network adapter had stopped working (the virtual network adapter). I checked power settings but saw nothing to indicate it was going into sleep mode or something.

I may need to take another look at this stuff tomorrow as I'm heading out. Let me know your thoughts.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='telecomguy9' post='786483' date='28-Jul-2009 02:06']...
    I just can't ping that one server that's giving me a problem.

Something I did see but can't figure out is that this server that I seem to be having issues with will stop responding to pings. I did a constant ping on it and I'm not sure how long it had been, 5-10 minutes, and the constant ping started coming up empty.
    ...[/quote]
    I am now very confused. You start by saying that you can't ping this server, then you say that you can ping it sometimes, but that it stops responding.

If it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't then this is very unlikely to be a firewall or network problem. It sounds like there is something wrong with the specific server.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trust me, I'm confused as well. When the issue first began I was unable to ping the server. Then last night I was able to for a bit and then it stopped again. I'm going to take another close look at things today to make sure I have my facts straight before letting you know with certainty exactly what is going on.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but if the server is stopping responding to pings, could it be a network adapter problem? maybe the adaptor on the server is set to allow the pc to turn it off to conserve power (In properties in device manager)
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jon. As soon as I saw that happen, and saw it happend twice, that's the first thing I checked. There's nothing in the power settings on either the vm or the host PC that would cause the NIC to go to sleep until something was done to wake it up. It's very strange.

I didn't get a chance to look at things last night as I had hoped. I plan to look at things tonight, take copious notes, and let you all know what exactly is happening. I appreciate your help and your sticking with me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey all. Sorry it's taken me a couple of weeks to get this information to you. It's been a crazy two weeks or so. Anyway, I'm sitting at my PC right now and have one Server 2008 vm running on my PC, one Server 2008 VM running on a second PC (XP is the host OS), and one Server 2008 installed as the only OS on a third PC. Let's call them server10 (dedicated OS), server20 (vm running on my PC), and server30 (vm running on the other XP host PC). I've attached some screen shots of the ipconfig's of each server and pings I did from each server to both of the other servers. Here's what it boils down to:

Server30 can't ping Server20 by name or IP address but can ping Server10
    Server20 can't ping Server30 by name or IP address but can ping Server10
    Server10 can ping both Server20 and Server30 by name

The firewalls on all 3 servers are off. Except for all of the servers having unique IP addresses and two of the server's being in workgroups while the third server is a domain controller and dns server, their IP information is the same. Server10 is the DC/DNS server and in the exercises it's DNS server setting is supposed to be pointing back at itself, the loopback address. One or two exercises later I'm supposed to create a manual zone delegation. I create a new primary zone named northwindtraders.com, right-click that zone and select New Delegation. On the Delegated Domain Name page I type Server20, I then move to the IP address Addresses Of This NS Record section and try to add Server20's IP address. That's where the hang up occurs.

I just did constant pings (using the -t option) against the gateway (192.168.1.254) for about five minutes and everything was fine on all servers. Any thoughts on where to begin?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the lack of replies, I have been on holiday with no Internet access and it looks like nobody else had any ideas!

I suspect your networking problem is a little beyond our "Networking your home" expertise.

I am not familiar with how to configure networks on Virtual machines, and I wonder if you need to set something up to ensure packets are directed correctly to each VM?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast