Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EditPad

ileacy

Re: TextPad

Well, depending on how you measure things and your political preferences, NoteTab Pro http://www.notetab.com should meet all your requirements.

The overall package size, with all the bell's and whistles is about 4.8MB (dictionaries, help, perl scripts, etc.) but the actual EXE is only 632K.

Last I knew the software was developed in DELPHI. So does not quite meet your MS-centric options.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Other than that, it is a full featured, robust, frequently updated, and free to inexpensive package. I do recommend the full version, primarily because of it's editable outline support. The package uses your browser to view HTML but includes extensive support for HTML processing and review. One very handy feature is stripping ALL html tags from a document. Very nice when you want just the text, thankyou ma'am from a web page.

VERY highly recommended. (I have it in my startup group).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I've just tried editpad today after haing had Notespad for a while.

Apart from the usual problems of getting used to a new piece of software, I found some nice features I liked. But I started getting some problems with Find and Replace- it stopped working- on several occasions. Sometimes I received a protection error, and twice lost a big hunk of text.

I'll stick with Notespad just for now, I might try something else later.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

ileacy

I hope you mean NoteTab.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

ileacy

Ooops. You really did mean "NoteSpad".

Sorry. I am a NoteTab addict/bigot. But probably because I have used it for years and never had a major problem.

Took a quick look at the Notestab link, and other than drag and drop within a single instance can't see anything I need. You can do similar things with NoteTab but you have to have more than one instance running.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There's a few thinngs I like with NotesPad- probably features which are on a few other of the editors:

.When you reopen the application, it reopens documents you had open before
    .Short cut keys (Ctr-F, Ctrl-S) work the same as in Word
    .It shows me that a file has changed since I've opened it
    .I've got a good list of file types to open- not just ".txt" and "all"
    .Showing me the current line and character number
    .Lots of levels of undo. Unlike Word, it will continue to undo to a point before I saved the document

Just a few points...
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

ileacy

Got all of those plus:
    -integration with Perl and AWK
    -integration with other 3rd party tools, eg. HTML Tidy
    -Regular expression searching
    -Clip Books. Basically intelligent pre-set functions and boiler plate.
    -Basically unlimited file size and files open.
    -Specifiable Groups of Files (Favourites) of varying file types and locations that can be opened at the same time.

etc.

As I said, I am VERY [img]/w3timages/icons/love.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] about this product. I registered it several years ago and have gone thru 2 major and probably 10 minor upgrades since then. Each one has got better and I have never seen reliability problems. The author knows how to test and manage his software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12