4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm revisiting the metadata issue at our office. Up to now the policy has been, when working with untrusted sources, to only email PDF versions of Office documents to prevent the sharing of metadata. But now there's concern the PDF documents are carrying too much information. And not all users stick to the rule and send Office documents anyway.

I installed the Office XP/2003 Remove Hidden Data add-in off the Microsoft website but that only helps with our Office 2003 machines. And, again, relies on the user to user it. We also have Office 2000 users. And all have Acrobat 8 or 9, depending on the machine.

What's out there that I can trust? Preferably free or very inexpensive. Maybe something in a button or macro that the user can simply press to remove all data. If there's too many steps or too much thought needed some of these guys are going to shy away from using it when they should be.

Thank, Daisy
    Daisy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Daisy.
    You may find some info on the site below.

Gus..

http://metadatarisk.org/share_story/share_overview.htm

Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='786597' date='28-Jul-2009 14:07']What's out there that I can trust? Preferably free or very inexpensive.[/quote]
    It's not free, and I don't know whether it's inexpensive, but an interesting one you might test is iScrub: http://esqinc.com/section/products/2/iscrub.html.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gus' post='786606' date='28-Jul-2009 15:25'][/quote]
    Gus your link is invalid, Daisy try http://metadatarisk.org/download/download_...rt_overview.htm
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to try Trace, but I keep getting a MCVCR80.dll error, even though I do have .Net Framework up to 3.5. Last night I uninstalled 3.5 and 2, then reinstalled 2. Still not working. Today I'm going to reinstall 3.5. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on that?
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='786706' date='29-Jul-2009 17:37']I would like to try Trace, but I keep getting a MCVCR80.dll error, even though I do have .Net Framework up to 3.5. Last night I uninstalled 3.5 and 2, then reinstalled 2. Still not working. Today I'm going to reinstall 3.5. If that doesn't work, any suggestions on that?[/quote]

Trace doesn't even run on my Windows 2000 box at work. Process Explorer show it flicker briefly into life then expire immediately. Like Frankenstein's first creature...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='786745' date='29-Jul-2009 13:47']Trace doesn't even run on my Windows 2000 box at work. Process Explorer show it flicker briefly into life then expire immediately.[/quote]
    The product seems to have an installation manifesto flaw and doesn't appear to be supported any more. We should keep looking. (I use MS's Metadata scrubber, but it has some annoyances.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS