New Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to be able to provide totals based on the months listed in column C. In other words, for the month of Mar 09, I need to sum cells B2, B16, B17, B18, and B19. Similarly, for May, I need to sum B4 and B5. I will have all 12 months in the final spreadsheet. I need the values to appear in cells E24:I24. This list will grow throughout the year, so it needs to do it dynamically.

Help?

Thanks!
    John

P.S., I'm sure this isn't a new problem, but I've looked through 22 pages of 607 Excel topics and couldn't find it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

In the attached version, I have entered dates in E23:I23, and applied a custom date format to add the word "TOTAL" to the month name.
    This makes it possible to use the following formula in E24:

=SUMIF($C$2:$C$19,E23,$B$2:$B$19)

This can be filled right to I24.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much (for now)! My boss just threw me a curve ball on how he wants this data sliced and diced. However, I believe I can modify your solution to fit his needs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out your dates, Jul 09 has two entries, 7/1/09 and 7/9/09 this makes the totals wrong. The formula only sums the 7/1/09 entry

Have you considered the posiblility of using a Pivot Table for your future Slicing and Dicing???

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stans' post='787287' date='03-Aug-2009 04:20']Check out your dates, Jul 09 has two entries, 7/1/09 and 7/9/09 this makes the totals wrong. The formula only sums the 7/1/09 entry

Have you considered the posiblility of using a Pivot Table for your future Slicing and Dicing???[/quote]
    Actually, I did catch that and will ensure all future instances have the 1st day of the month. Actually, I'll make sure it accepts only mmm-yy. I'm not a "power" user, so I'm not familiar with Pivot Tables, but I can sure read up on it and see how they work. THANKS!

Thanks
    [quote name='JohnPatrick' post='787394' date='03-Aug-2009 17:14']Actually, I'll make sure it accepts only mmm-yy.[/quote]

While it may DISPLAY only mmm-yy, the day is still stored with any date...

Steve