5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, does anyone know how to remove the log off button and the turn off button from the start menu. I want to provide my own method for closing down the computer. I don't mind hacking the registry to do it, though would prefer not to. The ideal solution would be a per user setting, but a method that affects all users is also OK. Note, I need the solution to work for Windows XP home rather than Professional. I found some ideas via a google search but they were only for Professional.

Thanks
    Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does Disable the Log Off and Turn Off Buttons in Windows work in XP Home (I can't test that at the moment).

(I don't think there's a way to do this that doesn't involve the registry).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='786665' date='29-Jul-2009 11:21']Does Disable the Log Off and Turn Off Buttons in Windows work in XP Home (I can't test that at the moment).

(I don't think there's a way to do this that doesn't involve the registry).[/quote]

Thanks, Hans. I found a similar page that has more information. The registry hack does seem to work but leaves the buttons visible when I want to hide them altogether. I think instead I will just use autohotkey to make my own menu and tie it to the windows key bypassing the Windows Startup menu completely.

Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    tie it to the windows key
    Remember that Microsoft has added new key definitions for the Windows key in Windows 7.

When the "Windows" was first announced, if I remember right, MS suggested that developers stay away from defining new uses. This is to prevent, Microsoft from over writing their (the developers) uses.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='786695' date='29-Jul-2009 15:23']Remember that Microsoft has added new key definitions for the Windows key in Windows 7.

When the "Windows" was first announced, if I remember right, MS suggested that developers stay away from defining new uses. This is to prevent, Microsoft from over writing their (the developers) uses.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. This is for XP home. The main aim is to help my elderly parents remember to use the close down button I put on the start menu that will do various jobs including keeping their data backed up.

Cheers,

Chris