2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    Just putting my two cents in in case anybody is having the same problem.
    I have IE 8 (recently downloaded) and had Firefox 3.0.something on my system. Just last night and this morning, I started to have frequent 'file not found' type errors while trying to surf my usual sites on the web. (Nothing dodgy just BBC and the like ). When I refreshed, the page would then come up. I also had trouble connecting to download email and even Windows Update was having a problem. Again, if I tried a second time I was successful.
    I have made NO changes or downloads etc for several days with the exception of a Windows Defender definition update.
    Defender and my virus scan turned up nothing.
    My network diagnostics said my connection was ok.
    My phone line was free from static or interference.

Eventually I worked my way around to my browsers. I use Firefox mostly and was surprised to find that the automatic update had not yet found 3.5. I found out about it when I clicked on 'Tools>updates and downloaded and installed it.
    My browsing is much more stable. Far less 'file not found' and quicker loading of web pages.

However, my windows mail still has to be clicked twice to get it to connect.

Not sure why Firefox didn't download 3.5 (I have it set to automatic)
    Also not sure if the not connecting is because of my connection or just busy out there on the web.

Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks

PS. I spoke too soon. It's still happening. It's annoying. Anybody got any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='786669' date='29-Jul-2009 06:42']My network diagnostics said my connection was ok.
    My phone line was free from static or interference.[/quote]
    You said phone line - are you using a dialup modem or DSL?

I haven't used dialup for many years so I've lost my memory of what solutions are to phone modem problems. But based on what you said about a second try yielding the correct page, more than once, I'd say you have a problem either with your modem or your internet PROVIDER. I think I would start with a call or email to ask them.

There are a number of sites where you can check your connection "speed" such as: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='786672' date='29-Jul-2009 12:16']You said phone line - are you using a dialup modem or DSL?

I haven't used dialup for many years so I've lost my memory of what solutions are to phone modem problems. But based on what you said about a second try yielding the correct page, more than once, I'd say you have a problem either with your modem or your internet PROVIDER. I think I would start with a call or email to ask them.

There are a number of sites where you can check your connection "speed" such as: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test[/quote]

Hi bigaldoc,
    Sorry, my mistake. I have ADSL and have had for years.. what I meant was I check to see if there was any noise on the phone line to see if there was any static and that it was working.
    I'm not sure, but I thought it might have been a problem with my broadband filter or the wall socket.
    Vista says my connection is ok, and the software that came with my modem is not detecting any problems.. maybe it IS OneTel..
    I'll wait a couple of days to see if it sorts itself out.. if not, I'll call them.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='786669' date='29-Jul-2009 03:42']Not sure why Firefox didn't download 3.5 (I have it set to automatic)[/quote]
    Major releases of Firefox (e.g., 3.0, 3.5) usually are not pushed out as automatic updates during the first few months. During that time, users who have to have the latest install them and report remaining problems so that those who rely on automatic updates end up having an easier time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='786710' date='29-Jul-2009 18:04']Major releases of Firefox (e.g., 3.0, 3.5) usually are not pushed out as automatic updates during the first few months. During that time, users who have to have the latest install them and report remaining problems so that those who rely on automatic updates end up having an easier time.[/quote]

Oh dear.. I usually don't have to have the latest. I'm a big fan of Woody's theory that says we should let the other brave pioneers get the arrows in their backs...lol
    Anyway.. it's done. I dont' notice any major differences so far except some changes in the 'clear private data' option.
    The browser seems a bit faster as well.

As for the 'firefox cannot connect to the server' thing.. I think bigaldoc was right.. probably my ISP.. as the day has gone on, things h ave got better.

Thanks for your post!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='786738' date='29-Jul-2009 19:54']
    Oh dear.. I usually don't have to have the latest. I'm a big fan of Woody's theory that says we should let the other brave pioneers get the arrows in their backs...lol
    Anyway.. it's done. I dont' notice any major differences so far except some changes in the 'clear private data' option.
    The browser seems a bit faster as well.

As for the 'firefox cannot connect to the server' thing.. I think bigaldoc was right.. probably my ISP.. as the day has gone on, things h ave got better.

Thanks for your post! [/quote]

Right.
    This is driving me mental.
    Regarding the above problem.
    I have downloaded all the IE updates and Firefox 3.5 and my problem persists.
    MY ISP says it ain't them.
    Help

Sometimes I can connect, sometimes not. Refreshing the page a few times usually works, but sometimes I have to go to a completely different page and go back to the first one.
    YouTube will load videos and play them, sometimes not.
    Sometimes some pictures will load sometimes the places they should be remain blank. I can go for a few minutes without a problem then sometimes I can't get anything to load..
    Right now, I'm on IE8 which is behaving somewhat better than Firefox.

I checked my broadband speed and my download speed is 1920Kbps and my upload speed is 245 on a OneTel 2.2Kbps line.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='786857' date='30-Jul-2009 14:13']... MY ISP says it ain't them.[/quote]
    Well, I'm far from an expert on such technical things, but based on the fact that you say it comes and goes, I think your ISP is feeding you a line! I don't know about where you are but in this area, they all think they're perfect and I went from DSL to cable because of it. I don't have any other suggestions for you and can only wish you good luck with it. I DON'T think it looks like a software problem on your local machine, but I certainly could be wrong.

Just for grins, can you logon to that ISP from another computer, even away from your location if possible, to see if it behaves the same way?

Edited to add: My cable speeds:

[attachment=84929:2009_07_30_163328.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc' post='786886 View Post

Edited to add: My cable speeds:

[attachment=84929:2009_07_30_163328.png]
    I'm jealous those are great speeds!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

bigaldoc,
    I was looking at Woody's post about downloading and installing the security update for IE8 that came through yesterday and was reading up about the patch on the MS website..
    Check this out:

Error message in IE8

I installed the patch this afternoon.

Might this be the reason IE is behaving better than Firefox?

PS Is there a way to run Firefox without add-ons?

Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='786901' date='30-Jul-2009 14:20']PS Is there a way to run Firefox without add-ons?[/quote]
    You can manually turn off individual Add-ons using the Tools menu (Tools > Add-ons, if it's in the same place as Fx3.0).

For testing, you can use Firefox Safe Mode. Close Firefox, then use Start > [All] Programs > Mozilla Firefox where you should find an item for Safe Mode.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='786910' date='30-Jul-2009 23:07']You can manually turn off individual Add-ons using the Tools menu (Tools > Add-ons, if it's in the same place as Fx3.0).

For testing, you can use Firefox Safe Mode. Close Firefox, then use Start > [All] Programs > Mozilla Firefox where you should find an item for Safe Mode.[/quote]

Cool. Will do..
    Thank you~!

Thanks
    One other thought: Firefox 3.5 is the first version to include a Just in Time (JIT) JavaScript compiler. This feature seems to have a few bugs in it with selected sites. So you might want to disable it in about:config. If you haven't visited this configuration interface before, simply enter about:config in your location bar and press Enter, if necessary, click the button promising to be careful, then in the filter box, enter jit to filter down to the most relevant entries. Try changing javascript.options.jit.content from true to false and see whether that resolves any issues with particular sites.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='786913' date='30-Jul-2009 23:24']One other thought: Firefox 3.5 is the first version to include a Just in Time (JIT) JavaScript compiler. This feature seems to have a few bugs in it with selected sites. So you might want to disable it in about:config. If you haven't visited this configuration interface before, simply enter about:config in your location bar and press Enter, if necessary, click the button promising to be careful, then in the filter box, enter jit to filter down to the most relevant entries. Try changing javascript.options.jit.content from true to false and see whether that resolves any issues with particular sites.[/quote]

Hi jscher2000,
    Thanks for your post.
    I had a look at the about:config thing.. the here be dragons thing is cute! But I didn't mess with it..
    The problem seems to be both with Firefox AND IE8 and, though I really hate saying this, I've started to use Internet Explorer again because although the problem persists, it seems less with IE.
    I have tried Firefox safe mode as bigaldoc suggested, and disabled the add-ons and I still had the same problem.
    I have also hooked up my old laptop to my modem and Opera has problems, especially with my google home page.
    IE6 seems better, but slow.

I wonder if it's my modem. If not, i wonder how to convince my ISP that it's them and not me...

PS I am currently signed on with dial-up on the same machine and it's slow but working. Could it be a problem with the broadband side of the line?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had similar problems on my wife's laptop when all 3 browsers became "intermittent" on "some" sites! From slow loads to hanging the browser: IE8, Firefox 3.5, and Chrome! ALL! I finally tracked it down to the ZoneAlarm firewall having a java executable blocked! She must have blocked it after a java update during that painful process of clicking "allow" or "deny" after programs are updated. The problem was found by looking at the firewall logs and noting the blocks! Why the symptom was "intermittent" I don't pretend to know. It could have been 1/n attempts to look for java updates? or some other 1/n need for java to make its own Internet access. Clearing history usually cleared the problem for a short time! Allowing the java executables to access the internet in ZoneAlarm cured the problem.