5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For a couple of years, whenever I opened Word or other Office programs, the Windows Installer would pop up with the "Preparing to install" box. I had to insert disc 1 of Office XP (2002). I put up with this annoyance because I didn't use Word very often. (My wife does, though, and therein is the "rub.") Within the last week, though, the Installer pops up but doesn't run through its routine--it just sits there idle and won't respond to the cancel command, so the only way to close it is with Ctrl/Alt/Delete, and then, of course, I can't open Word.

I'm trying to figure out the most direct way of fixing it. Should I follow Solution #2 in this Annoyance.org article? And if I do disable Windows Uninstaller, how will that affect installing/reinstalling programs?

I've checked out a number of sites through Google and Microsoft help but can't really discover anything else definitive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't disable Windows Installer except as a last resort.

Have you tried Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office Diagnostics?

You might also try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='786747' date='29-Jul-2009 16:03']I wouldn't disable Windows Installer except as a last resort.

Have you tried Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office Diagnostics?

You might also try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.[/quote]

Hans,

Curiously, Microsoft Office Diagnostics doesn't appear in my Microsoft Office Tools. So I used the Installer Cleanup, which I knew about and should have used before. That did the job. ("Before," I couldn't find the license key--three hours of searching today through way too many discs gave me what I needed.) Thanks much.