Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I received a lengthy, heavily footnoted Word 2003 document from someone and there are periodic breaks in the footnote numbering. The document has only 1 section. Is there a way to start from the first footnote numbered 1 and renumber them automatically beginning with 1 onward?

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hard to know what's going on there, without seeing an example document - if they are all true footnotes, then the numbers should renumber automatically. It is possible to specify to have footnote numbering restart for each new page or section, but in that case, they would restart at 1.

Is it possible to attach a copy of the problem document? - (remove any sensitive information before doing so)

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    They are true footnotes. I don't know what the user did to cause this issue or if he really "caused" it.
    There are no section breaks. The document is fairly large, so posting it isn't possible here.

I take it there isn't a way to select the first footnote and cause a renumbering???

[quote name='Gary Frieder' post='786771' date='29-Jul-2009 23:38']Hard to know what's going on there, without seeing an example document - if they are all true footnotes, then the numbers should renumber automatically. It is possible to specify to have footnote numbering restart for each new page or section, but in that case, they would restart at 1.

Is it possible to attach a copy of the problem document? - (remove any sensitive information before doing so)

Gary[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kweaver' post='786772' date='29-Jul-2009 23:06']I take it there isn't a way to select the first footnote and cause a renumbering???[/quote]
    Have you tried the following:

Select first numbered footnote reference in the document.
    Go to Insert > Reference >Footnote...
    Change the setting in the Apply Changes dropdown to 'Whole document'
    Make sure it is set to Continuous and Start At: 1.
    Then click the Apply button.

Does that do anything useful?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Didn't solve the problem. I suspect the user did something "strange" that I just can't get my arms around.
    When I did your suggestion, one of the footnotes that began a set of paragraphs where they were out of sequence, turned into a "1" but the other remained as they were (e.g., 36, 37, ...).

Kevin

[quote name='Gary Frieder' post='786773' date='30-Jul-2009 00:19']Have you tried the following:

Select first numbered footnote reference in the document.
    Go to Insert > Reference >Footnote...
    Change the setting in the Apply Changes dropdown to 'Whole document'
    Make sure it is set to Continuous and Start At: 1.
    Then click the Apply button.

Does that do anything useful?[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kweaver' post='786778' date='29-Jul-2009 23:51']Didn't solve the problem. I suspect the user did something "strange" that I just can't get my arms around.
    When I did your suggestion, one of the footnotes that began a set of paragraphs where they were out of sequence, turned into a "1" but the other remained as they were (e.g., 36, 37, ...).

Kevin[/quote]
    Just one other idea to try (maybe in a copy of the document) - convert all footnotes to endnotes (via Insert > Reference > Footnotes > Convert button), and then convert them back to footnotes. Don't know if that will work, the thought being that maybe that might force a renumbering.

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    GREAT idea...unfortunately, it didn't do the trick. SIGH.

There are 180 footnotes on this 168 page dissertation document.

I hope the owner (or me) doesn't have to re-do them. What a pain that would be.

[quote name='Gary Frieder' post='786782' date='30-Jul-2009 01:25']Just one other idea to try (maybe in a copy of the document) - convert all footnotes to endnotes (via Insert > Reference > Footnotes > Convert button), and then convert them back to footnotes. Don't know if that will work, the thought being that maybe that might force a renumbering.

Gary[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='kweaver' post='786784' date='30-Jul-2009 14:48']GREAT idea...unfortunately, it didn't do the trick. SIGH.

There are 180 footnotes on this 168 page dissertation document.

I hope the owner (or me) doesn't have to re-do them. What a pain that would be.[/quote]
    Hi kweaver,

Has the document been edited with 'Track Changes' on? Any footnotes attached to text marked as deleted might still be accounted for in the numbering, but not otherwise showing up in the document. Accepting/Rejecting the tracked changes might fix it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Paul, when auto numbering seems to skip over numbers it is usually because there are some items deleted while revision tracking is turned on. If you check for revisions then you may discover this to be the case.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Upon further conversation w/the owner of the doc, I learned that he took independent chapters (documents) and copied and pasted them together to form a single document. I guess footnote numbers don't increment automatically when you do that.

I think he's going to have to fix them where they are "broken" in the series...and do it by hand.

[quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='786809' date='30-Jul-2009 09:08']I agree with Paul, when auto numbering seems to skip over numbers it is usually because there are some items deleted while revision tracking is turned on. If you check for revisions then you may discover this to be the case.[/quote]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the document has been cobbled together from separate chapters and Word isn't recognizing that the footnotes are now part of one single document, you could try "updating the codes" by selecting the entire document (Ctrl A) and pressing F9. That might work.

Let us know.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    All GREAT ideas, but none are working I'm sad to report.

The first 8 pages are fine and end with footnote 33. Then, for some reason, page 9 begins with footnote 35. There are other breaks in the numbering elsewhere as well.

I really appreciate everyone trying to come up with a solution. What a heartbreak in light of the time/effort it will be to have to have him re do the footnotes after 33.

[quote name='janbphd' post='786849' date='30-Jul-2009 13:21']If the document has been cobbled together from separate chapters and Word isn't recognizing that the footnotes are now part of one single document, you could try "updating the codes" by selecting the entire document (Ctrl A) and pressing F9. That might work.

Let us know.

Jan[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='kweaver' post='786900' date='30-Jul-2009 14:19']What a heartbreak in light of the time/effort it will be to have to have him re do the footnotes after 33.[/quote]
    Good Heavens, no! How about the macro in Post 401873: "Many times you can repair messed-up footnotes with the macro below, which copies, deletes, and immediately re-inserts them."

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That was kind of interesting to watch it ripple through the document. However, it managed to change footnote #1 to #48 for some reason. To me, that suggests there's really something dramatically wrong with this document and the way the footnotes were created.

[quote name='jscher2000' post='786912' date='30-Jul-2009 19:12']Good Heavens, no! How about the macro in Post 401873: "Many times you can repair messed-up footnotes with the macro below, which copies, deletes, and immediately re-inserts them."[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='kweaver' post='786922' date='31-Jul-2009 09:29']That was kind of interesting to watch it ripple through the document. However, it managed to change footnote #1 to #48 for some reason. To me, that suggests there's really something dramatically wrong with this document and the way the footnotes were created.[/quote]
    Hi kweaver,

If your footnotes are now starting at #48, simply insert a new footnote and, when doing so, use the 'options' button to set the numbering to start on 1. After you've inserted this footnote, you can delete it and the numbering should be OK.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast