2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I have been reading Woody's book 'Windows Vista for Dummies' and I'd like to have a go at setting up a network in my flat for three computers plus the occasional guest with a laptop.
    What I have is this:
    My desktop which has Windows Vista
    A new laptop with Vista
    An old laptop with Windows ME
    A Thomson Speedtouch ASDL modem with a connection to my phone line, and a USB connection to my Vista computer.

From what I've been reading, if I have a computer with an internet connection already in situ, I only need a router. When I mention this, my geek friend gets all bent out of shape and says I should just buy a modem router. If I already have a perfectly good modem, why do I need a modem router? Do I need it at all?

Second question:
    I think I would like a Dual Band wireless N router. Would that work with a printer that reads 802.11g? Would everything I put on the network have to be N? G seems mroe common, but I like N speed.

My Win ME laptop doesn't have a network adapter. Could I buy one of those USB ones (if compatable) and run it on the network?

Sorry for the million questions, but the more I read the more confused I get..
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with your friend.

The easiest way to configure this network will be to buy a modem/router and connect all the computers to it.

The only way to use your existing USB device is if you use your desktop computer as a router for connecting all the other computers to the Internet. This can be done but I think you will spend a lot of your time asking questions on this forum when you get the predictable problems

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='787029' date='31-Jul-2009 20:11']I agree with your friend.

The easiest way to configure this network will be to buy a modem/router and connect all the computers to it.

The only way to use your existing USB device is if you use your desktop computer as a router for connecting all the other computers to the Internet. This can be done but I think you will spend a lot of your time asking questions on this forum when you get the predictable problems[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    Thank you.. modem router it is.

One more question.. the modem router I'm looking at is 'N' but the printer I am looking at is b/g. Will they talk to each other?
    And, can my Win ME laptop talk to both (with a USB network adapter)?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    An 802.11n device should be able to talk to both 802.11g and 802.11b devices
    An 802.11g device should be able to talk to 802.11b devices

If possible it would be better to connect your printer to the router using an Ethernet cable.