Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm hoping someone might have an idea as to why my PC is experiencing a general slowdown, e.g., opening of applications, menues populating, saving graphics in Photoshop and PSP, etc. It is noticeable on ALL systems; Vista, Win 7 and XP. Task Manager doesn't indicate anything that is using CPU or Memory out of the ordinary. Secondly, I am seeing random "artifacts" on the monitor, e.g., a black or colored broken horizontal line.

- I've run full scans with KAV and Malwarebytes (all latest versions and updated) on ALL systems. 100% clean!
    - I tried running Mem86 3.5 on bootup but it immediate begins to run for about 5 seconds and then the system reboots. In other words I don't get the expected static main page where I can start the scan, choose other options, etc.
    - System voltages are ok
    - MB, CPU, GPU and all 3 HDDs temps are well below max

Specs:
    AMD64 Athlon 6000+
    Asus M2N E
    4 Gigs DDR2 800 RAM
    EVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Antec 430w PS
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='787128' date='01-Aug-2009 20:04'][/quote]
    Anything in the System Event Log (less likely, in the Application Event Log)?

I would suspect the graphics card, and open up the case and reseat it - perhaps even cleaning the contacts carefully with a hard eraser before restoring it to the slot...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787145' date='01-Aug-2009 16:44']Anything in the System Event Log (less likely, in the Application Event Log)?

I would suspect the graphics card, and open up the case and re-seat it - perhaps even cleaning the contacts carefully with a hard eraser before restoring it to the slot...[/quote]
    Nothing in the System Event Log that would indicate a related issue.

I'll remove the graphics card, clean the contacts and re-seat it as recommended. However, that won't be until probably Monday when I have some free time. I'll report back thereafter.

THANKS
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='787155' date='01-Aug-2009 19:32']Nothing in the System Event Log that would indicate a related issue.

I'll remove the graphics card, clean the contacts and re-seat it as recommended. However, that won't be until probably Monday when I have some free time. I'll report back thereafter.

THANKS [/quote]
    Just a thought, have you tried using a registry cleaner ?

Second, have you checked the registry start programs:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

When I updated several programs and I found several programs loading into memory "Checking/Monitoring" for that application (Ex Adobe for documents, CD Monitor to load program based on type of Cd/DVD in drive, etc).

By removing these from the startup increased my startup and performance,

NOTE:You can export the selected branch with File -> Export for backup purposes.

HTH
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='787284' date='03-Aug-2009 04:26']Just a thought, have you tried using a registry cleaner ?[/quote]
    Yes, I use a Register cleaner on a regular basis; CCleaner nightly and jv16 PowerTools monthly.

My startup items are bare bones so that isn't the cause, unfortunately. My systems are all squeaky clean and organized, hehe.

@BATcher
    Okay, I removed the video card, cleaned the contacts and reinstalled it. There was minimal dust in the case but I blew it all out nevertheless. Unfortunately, that didn't make any difference. What I plan on doing next is reverting back to using Analog rather than Digital. I'm not sure if that is relevant either, but it's worth the small effort to try and see if it makes any difference. Truthfully, I don't know where else to look or try.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator