Thanks
    Is there a 'general rule' for the licensing of software like Microsoft Office, paid-for AntiVirus, etc, which runs in one operating system at a time (obviously!) on a multi-boot PC?

Surely one doesn't need a licence for software for each operating system?

Has anyone found any exceptions to this rule?

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787139' date='02-Aug-2009 03:16']Is there a 'general rule' for the licensing of software like Microsoft Office, paid-for AntiVirus, etc, which runs in one operating system at a time (obviously!) on a multi-boot PC?

Surely one doesn't need a licence for software for each operating system?

Has anyone found any exceptions to this rule?

Thanks![/quote]
    Not an exception, but in fact a similar situation that does not inspire hope. If you install a Virtual Machine (VM) on top of Windows, you need an additional license for the operating system on each VM. For example, I have MS VM running on my Windows XP system. If I wanted the OS of this VM to be Windows XP, I would have to buy another license - see for example Windows XP activation and virtual machines explained.

For this reason, I have resurrected a copy of Windows ME from a dead computer for use on the VM I use to to run a copy of Office 2000, also from the same dead computer.

However, Office does allow two installations, apparently intended to allow a second installation on a laptop, to be used by the primary user of a desktop - see How many copies of Office can you install?. I'd think that this would allow a second installation on a dual boot machine?

Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The OS is a different story. With Office and most other programs I have found to have NO issues in using the same key code for the different OS's on the same machine. Only one time did I have issue with a Office product, and it was because there were a LOT of Beta build releases, and MS wanted to know why I was install Office so many times. Once I told them that it was XP beta, no problems from that point on.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to what already seems like the answer that it "depends upon the software and its peculiarities" I should tell you that another one that WON'T allow itself to be run in more than one OS, even on the same machine, and that is my beloved Shadow Protect.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='787250' date='03-Aug-2009 01:23']To add to what already seems like the answer that it "depends upon the software and its peculiarities" I should tell you that another one that WON'T allow itself to be run in more than one OS, even on the same machine, and that is my beloved Shadow Protect.[/quote]
    That seems vaguely annoying, particularly since the Shadow Protect Desktop licensing is for one machine...
    "ShadowProtect Desktop Edition and Server Edition are licensed per machine. If you wish to install and activate ShadowProtect on multiple machines, you will need to purchase additional licenses."

But since you can backup all partitions from the currently-booted one, then there shouldn't be a problem with restoring any of the partitions from the Boot CD.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787293' date='03-Aug-2009 06:23']But since you can backup all partitions from the currently-booted one, then there shouldn't be a problem with restoring any of the partitions from the Boot CD.[/quote]
    That's correct and is what I've done a number of times since switching to SP.