New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to highlight the background of the "+" used to expand a subdata sheet based on whether a record has related records in the related table so that I don't have to click the plus sign to see if related records exist.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

As far as I know, you can't apply formatting to the subdatasheet expander.

By the way, many Access developers recommend turning off the Subdatasheet Name property of all tables - see SubdatasheetName in Allen Browne's Microsoft Access Flaws - Problem properties.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So is using subdatasheets always a bad idea?

I have a linking table called studentclasses facilitating a many to many relationship between students and classes. When a particular student registers for a particular class, a record is created in studentclasses. Sometimes the registration process is complicated or problematic so I have another table to record registration notes related to the records in studentclasses. Data is entered into the notes table when necessary by means of a subdata sheet on the studentcourses form.

Thank you for your input. I've only been browsing the lounge for a couple of days and reading Allen's site for about a week and have already vastly improved the only two databases I've ever designed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I must admit that I've never actually tested subdatasheets extensively, so I can't be certain, but the received idea is that you should avoid them altogether.