Thread: CPU Stepping

Thanks
    Without removing the cover, how can one tell if the installed cpu is a C0 stepping Intel i7 920 or a D0 stepping Intel i7 920? Apparently one is preferred over the other, if only for overclocking purposes.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='787168' date='02-Aug-2009 05:28']Without removing the cover, how can one tell if the installed cpu is a C0 stepping Intel i7 920 or a D0 stepping Intel i7 920? Apparently one is preferred over the other, if only for overclocking purposes.[/quote]
    Most of the Hardware Enumerating programs like SIW (System Information for Windows), SiSoft Sandra, PC Wizard, etc, will give this sort of information - personally I'd go for SIW.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787175' date='02-Aug-2009 03:11']Most of the Hardware Enumerating programs like SIW (System Information for Windows), SiSoft Sandra, PC Wizard, etc, will give this sort of information - personally I'd go for SIW.[/quote]

Thanks, BATcher. I had already tried SIW on my current Core 2 Duo computer but I could not find anything that referred to 'stepping' levels. Maybe these are unique to i7 processors.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    I found a little utility called CPU-z that appears to provide all the information you never knew you needed about your installed CPU (including stepping levels).

[attachment=84950:Capture.JPG]
    Regards,
    PaulB