2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On startup, under the Windows XP log, a series of 3 blue boxes travel from left to right. When my XP Dell (now with SP 3) was new, those pesky blue boxes made the trip 6 times.

Is there any way to track what is going on behind the scenes while those blue boxes display?

In the last couple of weeks, the number of trips has risen to 12. As a result, my startup takes longer. (I have 2.5 gig of memory) What's going on?

I tried using WinPatrol to delay some programs starting, but that hasn't helped. Aside from SP 3 and a couple of games my son installed (Civilization Call to Power and Empire Earth) nothing new has been added. And there are no programs associated with the games that run on startup.

Help!

Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your security software up-to-date and active? Have you run a full scan with an anti-virus program recently?

There's a now deprecated tool from Microsoft that lets you visualize what goes on while your PC is booting: BootVis 1.3.37.0.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MarkGuy12' post='787197' date='02-Aug-2009 11:55']On startup, under the Windows XP log, a series of 3 blue boxes travel from left to right. When my XP Dell (now with SP 3) was new, those pesky blue boxes made the trip 6 times.[/quote]
    On my computer running XP I now get even MORE "boxes" than that but I have a lot of stuff starting at boot that I am aware of and agree with.

BUT, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a copy (free) of WhatInStartup you might be surprised at what's running at boot time. Remember, you can "disable" any and all to see how it impacts your boot time, because you can them re-instate them one or more at a time to see where the problem is compounding.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='MarkGuy12' post='787197' date='02-Aug-2009 10:55']On startup, under the Windows XP log, a series of 3 blue boxes travel from left to right. When my XP Dell (now with SP 3) was new, those pesky blue boxes made the trip 6 times.

Is there any way to track what is going on behind the scenes while those blue boxes display?

In the last couple of weeks, the number of trips has risen to 12. As a result, my startup takes longer. (I have 2.5 gig of memory) What's going on?[/quote]

Part of what goes on is network initialization. You should check your Windows Explorer settings at Tools | Folder Options | View and make sure that "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is unchecked.

Joe
    Joe