4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife bought a cheap HP printer, a C4200. It seems to work OK, nothing fabulous, except it keeps wanting to re-install itself. I must have installed the drivers for this thing 50 times and it just keeps on wanting to do it. I don't even use it, it's not even turned on and it keeps popping up and insisting that it has to be installed. If I don't have the CD in the drive, it tells me that there was a fatal error but it must not have been fatal enough, because it keeps trying. If I have the CD in the drive, it will install another version of the driver, and at least it numbers them. When I get up to about 6 or 8 printers, I go in and start deleting them.

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP. How do I get this to stop? I want to through it out the window but money is tight right now and I have to make do with what I have. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='donebb' post='787260' date='02-Aug-2009 20:36']My wife bought a cheap HP printer, a C4200. It seems to work OK, nothing fabulous, except it keeps wanting to re-install itself. I must have installed the drivers for this thing 50 times and it just keeps on wanting to do it. I don't even use it, it's not even turned on and it keeps popping up and insisting that it has to be installed. If I don't have the CD in the drive, it tells me that there was a fatal error but it must not have been fatal enough, because it keeps trying. If I have the CD in the drive, it will install another version of the driver, and at least it numbers them. When I get up to about 6 or 8 printers, I go in and start deleting them.

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP. How do I get this to stop? I want to through it out the window but money is tight right now and I have to make do with what I have. Thanks for any help you can give me.[/quote]

Usually with USB devices you need to install the software before you attach the device. If you did not do this you might try deleting all the printers, turn the printer off, unplug it and start from scratch.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='787260' date='03-Aug-2009 02:36'][/quote]
    You could/should make sure you always use the same USB port - I've had a printer that re-install itself as different printer if it was connected to another port.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I think I did that but I can't be certain, so definately worth trying again. I'll let you know if that works. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I haven't done anything yet but the more I think about it, I think I did do a re-install. However, when I did it, when it came time to disconnect the USB cable, I unplugged it from the printer, because it was easier than getting down on the floor behind the computer and negotiating the rat's nest of wires that I have under there. Would that make a difference, instead of unplugging it from the computer? Thanks again for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='788168' date='09-Aug-2009 17:22']...
    Would that make a difference, instead of unplugging it from the computer? Thanks again for your help.[/quote]
    No, Unplugging the cable from either end will have the same effect.

One other thing you should try, after unplugging the printer, is to delete any hidden instances of this printer from when it may have used other USB ports. To do this follow the instructions here to display hidden devices in Device Manager, and make sure that you delete all of them. Then deinstall the software. Then install the software again and connect the printer when the software installation tells you to.