Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all I have no affiliation with Palm in any way except that I have had a Treo 680 for about a year and a half now. I use the Palm Desktop software on the PC for calendar, address/phone numbers, memos and such. It has never given me any trouble with the handheld-to-computer sync operation until recently.

Several days ago the hotsync got hung at the point where it's trying to sync my calendar. It just sat and sat doing nothing. There were a few times I had to break out with Task Manager and even once or twice doing a power off on the computer. That left the Palm hung too and the only way to clear it was taking out the battery and re-starting it. I was tearing my (little remaining) hair out with un-installs and re-installs, making sure that Revo removed all traces.

Tonight I decided to engage a Palm support rep in an online chat and that fella worked with me for almost TWO hours, including a remote view of my computer, having me install a utility of some kind that took a long time to go through on the Palm. He can't "see" the Palm but the guy was fabulous and I just wanted to mention how good their support was! I hope it's more than just this one fella and I would highly recommend a Palm product because of this support. I hope the Admins don't think this is spam ( ) but we users have a tendency to gripe when support is bad, so I figure the reverse should be true also. There you have it...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, don't just keep us in suspense! What was the problem? Was it solved? If so, how?

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787296' date='03-Aug-2009 07:02']Well, don't just keep us in suspense! What was the problem? Was it solved? If so, how?[/quote]
    Sorry 'bout that. I thought my joy would convey that it WAS solved. Not sure I can tell you exactly what solved the problem, but he had me download a program for the Palm handheld called DBSCAN. We spent a LONG time going through various screens that I would have given up on, but he kept telling me to go on. Evidently we were "scrubbing" the database files on the handheld but for the life of me I don't know what we did. That's one of the reasons I was so tickled with his "endurance." I would have given up on my own long before a solution was reached.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have done this up above, but just in case anyone else has the same or similar problem, here's a couple of links.

The support guy had me go here: dbScan 2.0b (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads

This morning I also found it here: PocketGear.com: Mobile Apps, Software & Games for Windows Mobile, Palm, BlackBerry and Android devices!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='787304' date='03-Aug-2009 19:26']I should have done this up above, but just in case anyone else has the same or similar problem, here's a couple of links.

The support guy had me go here: dbScan 2.0b (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads

This morning I also found it here: PocketGear.com: Mobile Apps, Software & Games for Windows Mobile, Palm, BlackBerry and Android devices![/quote]

dbScan comes with DateBk6 from Pimlico Software. Although it is still bundled free with DateBk6, it seems to have been superseded by DbFixIt, which however you do have to pay for.

To date I've happily not had a dire need for dbScan, but I keep it there in case. Your experience confirms that.

BTW, I've use Datebk for more than ten years since version 3, originally on a Palm Pilot, and find it a very worthwhile enhancement to the Calendar. (And I have no connection with Pimlico!).

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787313' date='03-Aug-2009 09:13']dbScan comes with DateBk6 from Pimlico Software. Although it is still bundled free with DateBk6, it seems to have been superseded by DbFixIt, which however you do have to pay for.[/quote]
    Well, $12.95 isn't bad for a utility that WILL help maintain one's "safety" with the handheld! I might just check it out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787313' date='03-Aug-2009 09:13']... I've use Datebk for more than ten years since version 3, originally on a Palm Pilot, and find it a very worthwhile enhancement to the Calendar.[/quote]
    Wow, that looks like a terrific replacement for the Palm Desktop Calendar. It does REPLACE it, does it not, or is it used in conjuction WITH the Desktop software?

I love all the different views and I'm willing to pay for it, but there's a lot of reading to do there to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into. I use the Palm Desktop mainly for calendar, contacts and memos. This DateBk is JUST a calendar, right?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc' post='787381 View Post
    I love all the different views and I'm willing to pay for it, but there's a lot of reading to do there to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into. I use the Palm Desktop mainly for calendar, contacts and memos. This DateBk is JUST a calendar, right?
    Yes, but with many pluses as you have noted. It still syncs with the Palm Desktop Calendar, because it uses the same database, although the additional elements in the database will appear on the desktop as meaningless notes. For example, one icon I use to identify holidays shows up on the desktop entry as '##@@@W@@@@@@@@@@@@@'. I don't find this is a problem.

Chris