Thread: format problem

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have attached a small piece of an overall problem I am having. I have been copying and pasting from different documents into a new document. When I past I use "paste special" and paste as unformatted. As I add to the new document I have been formatting the newly pasted material in an outline style. You will see at the top of the page, I have something like tick marks were the outline numbers should be. Also, all of the indention is now moving far right.

As the attached is titled, what happned? How do I fix this? This is getting very frustrating. The line spacing has also changed from the beginning of my new (pasted into) document. I have been copying from the same two or three documents.

TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='Gasman' post='787351' date='03-Aug-2009 10:55']You will see at the top of the page, I have something like tick marks were the outline numbers should be. Also, all of the indention is now moving far right.[/quote]
    At 500% zoom, they look like numbers. If I click in the first paragraph and (in Word 2003) open Format > Bullets and Numbering > Customize, the number for the first paragraph is "15.4.1.1.1.1." Maybe the list formatting has become corrupted? I think you need to un-number and renumber at some point.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    All text in the document that you attached has the Normal style, i.e. all formatting has been applied as direct formatting, not by applying styles as you claim. This makes it impossible for us to know what you have actually done to get this result.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='787364' date='03-Aug-2009 18:44']At 500% zoom, they look like numbers. If I click in the first paragraph and (in Word 2003) open Format > Bullets and Numbering > Customize, the number for the first paragraph is "15.4.1.1.1.1." Maybe the list formatting has become corrupted? I think you need to un-number and renumber at some point.[/quote]
    Thanks, I did this without success. So, I have removed all numbering and gone to plain text. We'll see how this works out.
    I will then (once finished cutting and pasting) try to renumber.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The paragraphs are numbered but they are formatted to be 1pt in size. The trick is that you can't select the number - you must select the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph to change the size of the automatic number at the start of the paragraph.

The fast fix is to select the affected paragraphs (eg Select All) and then press Ctrl-Space which returns all content to the font size defined by the paragraph style on the text - in this case 12pt. Note that this will also remove local bolding, italic etc.

How you did it is another question but it certainly is easy enough to fix once you show the paragraph numbers in their normal size.

If you also press Ctrl-Q while the content is selected then the numbering will all disappear since the Normal style which is applied is not numbered.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia