Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    PC World Magazine (USA) gives thirty-five of these, among the truest being:

Fix a computer for a friend or family member, and you'll be [their] tech support for life.

Only some of the other laws are interesting...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787353' date='03-Aug-2009 14:14']Fix a computer for a friend or family member, and you'll be [their] tech support for life. [/quote]

Too, too true!
    Regards,
    PaulB

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787353' date='03-Aug-2009 13:14']PC World Magazine (USA) gives thirty-five of these, among the truest being:

Fix a computer for a friend or family member, and you'll be [their] tech support for life.

Only some of the other laws are interesting...[/quote]
    Personally I like my friend's "Microsoft KISS" Principle ....

Keep Installing Software Silly - Microsoft software that is

BTB-He works for Microsoft - part time.
    Scott

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787353' date='04-Aug-2009 01:14']PC World Magazine (USA) gives thirty-five of these, among the truest being:

Only some of the other laws are interesting...[/quote]

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I especially like and can relate to this one:
    Law 4: Show any handy IT skills at work, and your company's IT department will start referring difficult coworkers to you.
    Way, way back in my IBM days (late 70s and early 80s, I was something of the reigning spreadsheet guru at our local facility. I had begun my personal computer jaunt when I had my Apple IIc and then into the IBM PC era. Went from early Visicalc to Multiplan to Lotus 1-2-3. I got pretty good at it, especially writing macros and "capturing" data from the company's mainframes. I used to get so many people sent to my office for help that my manager started complaining about it.(Never did do anything with Excel at that time.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='787598' date='04-Aug-2009 20:32']I especially like and can relate to this one:
    Law 4: Show any handy IT skills at work, and your company's IT department will start referring difficult coworkers to you.
    Way, way back in my IBM days (late 70s and early 80s, I was something of the reigning spreadsheet guru at our local facility. I had begun my personal computer jaunt when I had my Apple IIc and then into the IBM PC era. Went from early Visicalc to Multiplan to Lotus 1-2-3. I got pretty good at it, especially writing macros and "capturing" data from the company's mainframes. I used to get so many people sent to my office for help that my manager started complaining about it.(Never did do anything with Excel at that time.)[/quote]
    Hi Al

Did you not have SuperCalc on your Apple II?
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='787599' date='04-Aug-2009 21:02']Did you not have SuperCalc on your Apple II?[/quote]
    Not that I ever remember but it's been a long time ago. I think my first was the Visicalc I mentioned. If it came bundled with the Apple I may not have been aware of it. Back in the floppy disk days I could have had something I never knew to try.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can also relate to this one:
    In '75 or so, I built a SWTPc 6800 home system. About a year later we were getting IBM's with Windows 3.1 at work. Because I had a "home PC", fellow workers were coming to me with all sorts of questions. There were no IT departments in those days. We were given the PC's w/documentation and that was it.
    I still have that 6800 system which still works. I also have that first work IBM PC which still works.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='787600' date='04-Aug-2009 21:21']Not that I ever remember but it's been a long time ago. I think my first was the Visicalc I mentioned. If it came bundled with the Apple I may not have been aware of it. Back in the floppy disk days I could have had something I never knew to try.[/quote]

Were those 8-inch floppies?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787613' date='05-Aug-2009 07:31']Were those 8-inch floppies?[/quote]No, they were 5 1/4 inch drives. If you are interested here is an interesting history of Woz's invention!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='787616' date='05-Aug-2009 03:06']No, they were 5 1/4 inch drives. If you are interested here is an interesting history of Woz's invention![/quote]
    Not only that, but I lied up above! I was doing some more digging and now remember that I had an Apple II+ and here is some stuff about it. I think I remember that my first "peripheral" purchase was the second floppy drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='787598' date='05-Aug-2009 10:32']I especially like and can relate to this one:
    [/quote]
    But there's a "fine print" rider clause that goes with that...
    ... but you'll never be offered a pay rise commensurate with your newly aquired tonnage of duties.

Alan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='787599' date='05-Aug-2009 02:02']Hi Al

Did you not have SuperCalc on your Apple II?[/quote]

Oooo SuperCalc! I remember that one on PCs in the early 90s, loved it.

Ken

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stuck' post='788236' date='10-Aug-2009 05:32']Oooo SuperCalc! I remember that one on PCs in the early 90s, loved it.

Ken[/quote]

Seems to me that it provided the engine to drive Lotus123
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='788256' date='10-Aug-2009 09:09']Seems to me that it provided the engine to drive Lotus123[/quote]
    I can't find anything that substantiates that, but did find that the three pioneers came in this order:
    Visicalc in January 1979
    SuperCalc in January 1980
    Lotus 123 in January 1983
    I did see something that jogged my memory a little bit more however. SuperCalc allegedly was the first spreadsheet to have "three dimensional" spreadsheets. I DO think I tried it once when it was sold to Computer Associates but decided to stick to Lotus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast