Thread: Virtual PC 7

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have and would like to run Virtual PC, but I know very little about it and would welcome tips from existing users here in The Lounge. I have no experience in running any dual boot setup, so I am completely green in this area.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787391' date='04-Aug-2009 04:05']I have and would like to run Virtual PC, but I know very little about it and would welcome tips from existing users here in The Lounge. I have no experience in running any dual boot setup, so I am completely green in this area.[/quote]

I have no experience with Virtual PC under Windows 7, but have been running the MS VM under XP for some time. You may wish to look at my post Experience with MS Virtual Machine, Works well!.

Let me know if you have any specific questions...

Chris

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787413' date='03-Aug-2009 18:56']I have no experience with Virtual PC under Windows 7, but have been running the MS VM under XP for some time. You may wish to look at my post Experience with MS Virtual Machine, Works well!.

Let me know if you have any specific questions...

Chris[/quote]

Thank you for the information. Here is a askbobrankin.com/windows_7_xp_mode.html"]LINK[/url] that covers an application that interests me considerably.

My idea is to combine it with a dual boot so that I can run the computer and almost all of the programs under Windows 7, while retaining XP for incompatible programs or drivers, and above all to maintain the ability to retain and download updates to the manufacturer's pre-installed (XP) software and utilities.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='787680' date='05-Aug-2009 13:03']Thank you for the information. Here is a LINK that covers an application that interests me considerably.

My idea is to combine it with a dual boot so that I can run the computer and almost all of the programs under Windows 7, while retaining XP for incompatible programs or drivers, and above all to maintain the ability to retain and download updates to the manufacturer's pre-installed (XP) software and utilities.[/quote]

You need to make sure that your PC can run XP_mode. Check out Windows Virtual PC: Documentation in particular the requirements section. Also, see GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features for utility which will tell you quickly about your PC.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787694' date='05-Aug-2009 17:16']You need to make sure that your PC can run XP_mode. Check out Windows Virtual PC: Documentation in particular the requirements section. Also, see GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features for utility which will tell you quickly about your PC.

Joe[/quote]

First, an apology for my own bad link. I haven't worked out a correction yet.

Second, thank you very much for the mountain of information your links have given me. I have yet to work through it all, but this is a topic of considerable interest to me, both for XP, which is not all that big a deal, and for Vista, with which my main computers came pre-installed and for which I would like to keep a lifeline to the manufacturer without having to get the upgrade from the manufacturer, since I will have Windows 7 Ultimate directly from Microsoft.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787711' date='06-Aug-2009 00:23']First, an apology for my own bad link. I haven't worked out a correction yet.

... since I will have Windows 7 Ultimate directly from Microsoft.[/quote]
    Is this perchance the correct link: http://askbobrankin.com/windows_7_xp_mode.html ???

By the way, here's what I got when I ran Gibson's little program:

[attachment=84995:2009_08_05_174903.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='787711' date='05-Aug-2009 23:23']Second, thank you very much for the mountain of information your links have given me. I have yet to work through it all, but this is a topic of considerable interest to me, both for XP, which is not all that big a deal, and for Vista, with which my main computers came pre-installed and for which I would like to keep a lifeline to the manufacturer without having to get the upgrade from the manufacturer, since I will have Windows 7 Ultimate directly from Microsoft.[/quote]

Remember that even if your PC does NOT support the hardware virtualization required for XP_mode you can still run XP in a VM on a Windows 7 machine. You just don't get the level of integration (i.e. making it look more like any other app).

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for their contributions. The Gibson utility is of interest, since that site hasn't been on my mental map since I used TIP endlessly. The correction for my mangled link was welcome.

A final word to someone at a higher level may be in order: now that Windows 7 Retail is available to certain among us, it might be timely to start a dedicated section to start building a knowledge base in The Lounge, since this the first place we sometimes learn of things or have questions answered even if we don't have the system installed. Early adopters are still guinea pigs, and the more we learn from the guinea pigs, the more everyone, including Microsoft, stands to learn and improve.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787751' date='06-Aug-2009 20:50']Remember that even if your PC does NOT support the hardware virtualization required for XP_mode you can still run XP in a VM on a Windows 7 machine. You just don't get the level of integration (i.e. making it look more like any other app).

Joe[/quote]
    There may be another potentially significant difference: you will need a licensed copy of XP solely for use on the VM. I get the impression (perhaps someone could correct me) that this is not required with the Windows 7 hardware virtualization?

Chris

Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787880' date='07-Aug-2009 06:10']There may be another potentially significant difference: you will need a licensed copy of XP solely for use on the VM. I get the impression (perhaps someone could correct me) that this is not required with the Windows 7 hardware virtualization?[/quote]
    The second half of your statement is certainly correct, because you can download 'Virtual PC' and 'XP Mode' software free from Microsoft. The latter is a 'real' copy of XP, which needs customising, antivirus, and all the things you know and love in your current XP.
    I suspect you are also correct in the first half, and you need to buy (how?!) a copy of XP for Virtual Machine software - which isn't Virtual PC...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='787898' date='07-Aug-2009 17:23']I suspect you are also correct in the first half, and you need to buy (how?!) a copy of XP for Virtual Machine software - which isn't Virtual PC...[/quote]
    This article - Microsoft details frugal licensing policy for Virtual PC on Vista - pretty much confirms it - I assume what is true for a VM on Vista would be the same on Windows 7 - or XP for that matter. I must say I hadn't thought about how one could buy a copy of an OS that is no longer marketed.

As I have previously noted, I have a VM on XP running Windows ME. But I already had a copy of ME from a dead computer - that was why I chose ME for this VM. I also have a copy of XP from another dead machine, and it was my plan to use this on Windows 7 later, to avoid have to buy the Professional version.

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='wartaaids' post='787906' date='07-Aug-2009 06:29']This article - Microsoft details frugal licensing policy for Virtual PC on Vista - pretty much confirms it - I assume what is true for a VM on Vista would be the same on Windows 7 - or XP for that matter. I must say I hadn't thought about how one could buy a copy of an OS that is no longer marketed.

As I have previously noted, I have a VM on XP running Windows ME. But I already had a copy of ME from a dead computer - that was why I chose ME for this VM. I also have a copy of XP from another dead machine, and it was my plan to use this on Windows 7 later, to avoid have to buy the Professional version.[/quote]

Also remember that XP_mode is for Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, & Enterprise only.

Joe
    Joe