5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The attached fictional document, how can I get the phrase "Dissolving the marriage between the parties pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:34-2" to renumber and begin with "(A)" the second and third times it appears and how can I get the phrase "Plaintiff repeats every allegation contained in the First and Second Counts of the Complaint as if set forth at length herein" to renumber with the number "1." both times it appears? I already tried right clicking on the relevant letters or numbers and select "restart," but nothing changes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='787430' date='03-Aug-2009 20:29']I already tried right clicking on the relevant letters or numbers and select "restart," but nothing changes.[/quote]
    Strange, that works for me. You can accomplish the same thing by using Format > Bullets and Numbering, ticking the Restart Numbering radio button, then clicking OK. Does that work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='787430' date='03-Aug-2009 23:29']The attached fictional document, how can I get the phrase "Dissolving the marriage between the parties pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:34-2" to renumber and begin with "(A)" the second and third times it appears and how can I get the phrase "Plaintiff repeats every allegation contained in the First and Second Counts of the Complaint as if set forth at length herein" to renumber with the number "1." both times it appears? I already tried right clicking on the relevant letters or numbers and select "restart," but nothing changes.[/quote]
    The restart works for me too - at least for the (A) paragraphs. However when I open your document, the Numbered paragraphs are showing no numbering at all - it seems that the numbering in this document is unstable in some way.

One thing that's less than ideal, is that you've got the "1." and the "(A)" paragraphs both as separate and unrelated numbered lists.
    The numbering will be a lot more stable if you set these up as an outline numbered list, associating the two styles with Level 1 and Level 2 of the list. One benefit of doing it this way, is that you can indicate to have the "(A)" paragraphs always restart after a numbered paragraph.

See attached revised version of your document (this was done on Word 2002, not 2003, but in this case should not make any difference).

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JScher: Restart numbering, as well as Continue from previous list, are both greyed out. It appears that Restart numbering is the one that has been selected, though.

Gary: the document you sent me isn’t appearing correctly on my computer. On the second and third counts, the number “1” doesn't have indenting of the first number and the following number is not “2,” but rather, “5” in the second count, and “6” in the second count. Is it showing up that way on your computer as well?

Regards,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='788020' date='07-Aug-2009 22:25']Gary: the document you sent me isn’t appearing correctly on my computer. On the second and third counts, the number “1” doesn't have indenting of the first number and the following number is not “2,” but rather, “5” in the second count, and “6” in the second count. Is it showing up that way on your computer as well?

Regards,

JMT[/quote]
    JMT,

Just reopened the document I'd posted previously, this time on a PC with Word 2003. I don't see the numbering or indenting issues you're seeing, but I did see the first two lettered paragraphs for each count, starting with "A".

Attached is another iteration of your document, with the numbering reapplied again, this time in Word 2003 - it seems to be looking fine here. Bearing in mind that I used your original document for both posted samples, it could be the case that there's simply some unspecified corruption in the numbering in this document to begin with, and it might be better to recreate the document from scratch - if you need to do so, take a look at how I have the numbering outline set up in the attached example - because under normal circumstances, this will provide for stable numbering.

On the other hand, maybe the attached will look OK on your computer, and you'll be good to go for now....

Gary

Thanks
    Hi JMT,

I too, was able to reset numbering (lettering) with each sequence. When I right click again, Restart is greyed out, but Continue is not.

I did not see a number attached to any of the other paras, same at Gary, and when I accessed Modify Style>Format>Numbering..., numbering was set to "None" in the List Gallery. Once I attached a number and formatted it properly, I tried to reset numbering to 1 in the first paragraph of the second sequence. This para remained at 5, but the following para restarted at 1. The same thing happened in the third numbered sequence. The para my cursor was in remained in the previous sequence and the following paragraph started numbering at 1. Yikes. At one point I selected all and pressed Ctrl-Q and the document appeared in the Symbol font. I then pressed Ctrl-Spacebar and it returned to Times New Roman. Clearly something goofy is going on.

Gary's suggestion to link the two numbering sequences together with Level 1 and Level 2 is a good scenario for success. When I did that and restarted each of the appropriate paras to 1, all was well.

Another possibility is to set up "FIRST COUNT", etc. as the top Level 1, with 1., 2., 3. as Level 2 and (A)... as Level 3. Then you will have an automatically renumbering list and won't have to reset at all. (See my doc.)

Kim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary: the same problems appears on my computer when viewing the document you generated. I suppose the problem may be on my computer and I will need to start the list from scratch.

Kim: your document displays correctly on my computer. I will consider these suggestions.

Regards,

JMT

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='788543' date='12-Aug-2009 14:39']Gary: the same problems appears on my computer when viewing the document you generated. I suppose the problem may be on my computer and I will need to start the list from scratch.

Kim: your document displays correctly on my computer. I will consider these suggestions.

Regards,

JMT[/quote]
    Hi JMT,

Have you tried repairing your Office installation (eg Help Detect & Repair)? Have you installed all the updates?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]