2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Apple QuickTime to play videos it supports (in particular, mp4) free-standing and as a plug-in under Firefox 3.5.1. Firefox prompted me to do the installation when it didn't display a video.

I solved the black bar problem (and a disappearing QuickTime window when running it free-standing) by running both QuickTime and Firefox in Compatibility Mode right-click on the .exe file in the program files (x86) folder, click on the Compatibility tab, select Windows XP SP2, put checkmark in the box for all users, click Apply and OK. You will need administrator privileges to make some if not all of these changes.

I got a response that solved my problem in an Apple discussion forum, but surprisingly, Apple doesn't have information about this easy fix in its installation instructions or readme file for Quicktime.

Related problem, caveat emptor: QuickTime Control Panel does not appear in Windows Control Panel under Vista 64, so I can't install a QuickTime Pro product key and edit video in QuickTime. There may be a workaround for this but I don't know it yet. Anyone?

OK now here the heck is the button to post this message? If you are reading thisd, I found it. Oh, there is is, in low contrast, way down at the bottom.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Switch to Classic View in control panel.
    Click "View 32-bit Control Panels".
    The QuickTime control panel should be in there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='787536' date='04-Aug-2009 12:23']Switch to Classic View in control panel.
    Click "View 32-bit Control Panels".
    The QuickTime control panel should be in there.[/quote]

Yes, it's there. And also, someone else suggested clicking on the file at C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime cpl . That opened the QuickTime Control Panel and I was able to enter the key. The editing commands now display in QuickTime. I also got a message from Windows about running a "legacy elevated control panel. " I'm not sure what that amounts to, but in any case I now know how to access the QuickTime Control Panel 2 different ways.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='jsallen' post='787541' date='04-Aug-2009 11:49']Yes, it's there. And also, someone else suggested clicking on the file at C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime cpl . That opened the QuickTime Control Panel and I was able to enter the key. The editing commands now display in QuickTime. I also got a message from Windows about running a "legacy elevated control panel. " I'm not sure what that amounts to, but in any case I now know how to access the QuickTime Control Panel 2 different ways.[/quote]

When you run a 64-bit OS, 32-bit control panel applets (and probably 32-bit apps themselves) are considered legacy (i.e. "old"). "Elevated" means it runs with special privileges and may be able to change system settings which normally an administrator can do. As Microsoft makes progress in minimizing the attack surface in its OSes more and more functions are considered to be restricted to administrators.

Joe
    Joe