Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot determine why the use of a single-quote character (ASC-039) should cause Outlook2000 to issue gobbledygook text.

The attached image shows a subject with "=?iso-8859-1?Q?" which sounds to me very much like an attempt to encode the single "Q"uote into a non-ascii code.
    The trouble is that it will upset any anti-spam white-list filter, quite apart from looking odd in receipiEnts mailboxes.

I suspect that the problem arises from the single quote, for when I replace *don't* with *do not* in the source Word documents, the problem disappears.

I had thought that a regular ascii(039) should be innocuous.

The emails are generated by Word 2000 extracting text from Word documents, grabbing the text as a character string and emitting it to Outlook 200 via a purloined function as shown below:
    Code:
    Function SendOutlook2000Email(strTo As String, strSubject As String, strBodyText As String)

Dim bStarted As Boolean
    	Dim oOutlookApp As Outlook.Application
    	Dim oItem As Outlook.MailItem

On Error Resume Next

Set oOutlookApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application")
    	If Err <> 0 Then
    	Set oOutlookApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    	bStarted = True
    	End If

Set oItem = oOutlookApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With oItem
    	.To = strTo
    	.Subject = strSubject
    	.Body = strBodyText
    	.Send
    	End With

If bStarted Then
    	oOutlookApp.Quit
    	End If

Set oItem = Nothing
    	Set oOutlookApp = Nothing
    'Sub TESTSendOutlook2000Email()
    '	' worked July 21st 2009
    '	Dim strBodyText As String
    '	strBodyText = "here" & vbCrLf & "is a message"
    '	Call SendOutlook2000Email(strcTo, Format(Now(), "YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm:ss"), strBodyText)
    'End Sub
    End Function
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (16.1 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's character 39 - if your Word is set to change quotes to "curly quotes" automatically, it could be character 145 or even Unicode character 8216, which might cause problems in HTML.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='787671' date='05-Aug-2009 12:02']Are you sure it's character 39? ...[/quote]
    Hans, thanks.
    Yes I'm sure.
    Your prompt for me to re-affirm my belief caused me to reflect on what I was seeing. My own attachment (above) should have given me a clue.

1. Word 2000 is handling the asc(039) correctly and passing it to Outlook 2000
    2. Outlook 2000 is handling the asc(039) correctly and passing it to the outgoing mail server.
    3. The mail server(s) are handling it correctly.
    4. & 5. The EasiNotification and POP3 SCAN processors are NOT handling the asc(039) correctly in that they display it with that ISO stuff.
    However:
    6. It reaches my mail client (Thunderbird 2.0.0.4) correctly.

That is, my scheme to issue newsletters and training courses via Word/Outlook 2000 is working fine. Some third-party programs have problems displaying the single-quote (and for all I know, other characters).

Thanks again for the nudge that sent me back to the laboratory bench.