5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HELLO -

Is there a way to rename a search engine that appears in the address bar?
    “Manage search engine” only offers the ability to edit the keywords. I tried changing the name in Firefox’s Searchplugin folder. Didn’t work.

Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After more searching, I found this page which seems to be the answer. I haven't tried it yet.

http
    ://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-rename...arch-plug-ins/

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='787677' date='05-Aug-2009 13:35']After more searching, I found this page which seems to be the answer.[/quote]
    Just be careful. I don't know about yours, but on my machine the only search engine XML file in MY profile is for the Meriam-Webster dictionary which I added. The built-in XML files for the ones contained in Firefox are in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins.

I haven't tried it either but from looking at the XML files in my regular text editor, I don't think that renaming the file extension should be necessary. The file is mostly plain text anyway and I think the "gibberish" is probably the image data for the icon that shows up on the search toolbar. Just be sure that when you save it back with your text editor that you make the file extension XML and not TXT. Let us know how you make out.