Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My organization started promoting the use of SharePoint about a year ago. I got tagged as the "administrator" for my department. Since then, I've become one of the local "SharePoint junkies," and I've built a number of sites. Almost all my sites are for storage of documents: Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations.

As the "owner" of these sites, I have permissions to open, edit and save any document in the libraries. Things took a nasty turn last week. Suddenly, I can no longer save a document back to its original location with its original file name. Every document I open is "Read Only." I always follow the usual routine: I check out the document, then open it; I edit the document; I click Save. The Save As... dialog box opens to My Documents every timeónot to the SharePoint location where the document resides. If I drill down through My Network Places and find the native location and click Save, a little box pops up to remind me the document is 'Read Only.'

Do other users have the same problem? No. I seem to be the only victim.
    Does it matter whether I'm using a new site or an older one? No. The problem seems to exist with every site I've built.

I contacted our tech support team three days ago, and they're still "researching" the problem. I've contacted our local SharePoint experts, and they're stumped.

I have just one possible clue. Last week, a techie worked on my computer to install the latest update to Adobe Acrobat 9. The problem started after he finished his work. I can't imagine how that episode could relate to my problem, but I've no other ideas.

I fully understand that problems of this nature can be very difficult to diagnose or treat by way of a forum such as this. I'm just hoping someone here may have some advice. Maybe you've experienced or witnessed a similar situation. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think this question belongs in this forum but we at least make a few suggestions before a moderator thinks of a better place for it to go.

Does this problem occur with XLS and PPT files too? If so then this is a sharepoint permissions problem, not a Word problem. If it only occurs with Word documents then it might conceivably be related to the Acrobat installation. If this is the case, try opening a document from a different PC whilst logged into Sharepoint with your own user id. This will allow you to eliminate Acrobat from being the issue.

Next you will need to examine the permissions your userid has in Sharepoint. If you don't see anything out of order I would create a new admin account and see if that has the same restrictions on it. I would also question whether there has been a change to the SQL db that the Sharepoint stores its data in.

I don't know if we have many Sharepoint administrators here. You might have more luck getting an answer on another forum.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='787726' date='06-Aug-2009 05:09']I don't think this question belongs in this forum but we at least make a few suggestions before a moderator thinks of a better place for it to go.

Does this problem occur with XLS and PPT files too? If so then this is a sharepoint permissions problem, not a Word problem. If it only occurs with Word documents then it might conceivably be related to the Acrobat installation. If this is the case, try opening a document from a different PC whilst logged into Sharepoint with your own user id. This will allow you to eliminate Acrobat from being the issue.

Next you will need to examine the permissions your userid has in Sharepoint. If you don't see anything out of order I would create a new admin account and see if that has the same restrictions on it. I would also question whether there has been a change to the SQL db that the Sharepoint stores its data in.

I don't know if we have many Sharepoint administrators here. You might have more luck getting an answer on another forum.[/quote]
    Thanks, Andrew. I could not think of a better place for my question. My problem concerns Word documents, so here we are. I have not experimented at all with XLS and PPT files. That's a great suggestion! Haven't tried logging in from another PC, either. I'll try both suggestions and see what falls out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='787741' date='06-Aug-2009 05:25']Thanks, Andrew. I could not think of a better place for my question. My problem concerns Word documents, so here we are. I have not experimented at all with XLS and PPT files. That's a great suggestion! Haven't tried logging in from another PC, either. I'll try both suggestions and see what falls out.[/quote]

1.) Is this MOSS or WSS? What version and service pack? Up-to-date with patches?
    2.) Have you checked your SharePoint permissions to see if perhaps the your SharePoint group got changed? Are you still the owner?
    3.) Do you use AD OUs (Organizational Units)? Are they imported to SharePoint? Has your AD OU or group membership changed?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I can only assume that our techies have the patches and all that under control. I've no idea what MOSS or WSS mean. I spent the better part of an hour on the phone today with one of our tech guys. We performed some tricks in the registry and modified a .dll file or two, all for naught. Next trick: Install Office 2007 tomorrow. Maybe that'll fix the problem.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='787866' date='06-Aug-2009 20:41']Joe, I can only assume that our techies have the patches and all that under control. I've no idea what MOSS or WSS mean. I spent the better part of an hour on the phone today with one of our tech guys. We performed some tricks in the registry and modified a .dll file or two, all for naught. Next trick: Install Office 2007 tomorrow. Maybe that'll fix the problem.[/quote]

MOSS = Microsoft Office SharePoint Server WSS=Windows SharePoint Services

WSS is a free part of Windows Server 2003 and later. It enables the whole SharePoint environment. MOSS is the Office server application which adds a lot of builtin functionality to WSS. Older versions of MOSS were called SharePoint Portal Server.

Did you ever try logging on another PC with your userid? That would give you some idea whether it is your PC or something on the server.

Joe
    Joe