Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook 2007 SP2, XP-Pro

Instant search seems way to long to locate emails, and the indexing itself is taking days. When I click Indexing Status, the message says incomplete, 25,861 items in "Personal Folders." I left the machine on all night with Outlook open and it indexed a few thousand items.

Not sure if this is related, but I had to reinstall Outlook after upgrading to new mobo (same HDs). Rebuilt directory on Outlook, Windows Desktop search is enabled, no hidden files. Not sure what to try next...very frustrating.

[The mobo is P6T Deluxe v2 with Intel Core i7 -- this shoudn't be a problem, right?]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Honu' post='787764' date='06-Aug-2009 10:01']Outlook 2007 SP2, XP-Pro

Instant search seems way to long to locate emails, and the indexing itself is taking days. When I click Indexing Status, the message says incomplete, 25,861 items in "Personal Folders." I left the machine on all night with Outlook open and it indexed a few thousand items.

Not sure if this is related, but I had to reinstall Outlook after upgrading to new mobo (same HDs). Rebuilt directory on Outlook, Windows Desktop search is enabled, no hidden files. Not sure what to try next...very frustrating.[/quote]

Do you have Windows Search 4.0 installed?

If you are rebuilding your indices it will take a while. Overnight may not be long enough depending on the folder you've configured to be indexed by WDS.

Do you have other activities going on at night? By default WDS indexing will run in the background so as not to interfere with normal activities.

What are your power saving options? If you have the PC set to sleep or hibernate that will interefere with WDS.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787773' date='06-Aug-2009 16:04']Do you have Windows Search 4.0 installed?

If you are rebuilding your indices it will take a while. Overnight may not be long enough depending on the folder you've configured to be indexed by WDS.

Do you have other activities going on at night? By default WDS indexing will run in the background so as not to interfere with normal activities.

What are your power saving options? If you have the PC set to sleep or hibernate that will interefere with WDS.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks, Joe. I didn't have Windows Search 4, but now I do. I don't use WDC (I like Copernic better) so the only things being indexed are my Outlook mail files.

I've made sure my power settings don't shut things down for now (except for the monitors).

Still, this seems so slow. And it wasn't slow until recently. Also, the number of items remaining in "Personal Folders" fluctuates. It was down to 13K and now is back up to 40K. Something still seems wrong about how it's going. Any other ideas?
    Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Honu' post='787797' date='06-Aug-2009 13:45']Thanks, Joe. I didn't have Windows Search 4, but now I do. I don't use WDC (I like Copernic better) so the only things being indexed are my Outlook mail files.

I've made sure my power settings don't shut things down for now (except for the monitors).

Still, this seems so slow. And it wasn't slow until recently. Also, the number of items remaining in "Personal Folders" fluctuates. It was down to 13K and now is back up to 40K. Something still seems wrong about how it's going. Any other ideas?
    Thanks.[/quote]

The numbers do fluctuate as the indexer finds more items to index and then indexes them. How many items do you think are in the PST? Have you double checked the settings for WDS? Can you post a picture?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787867' date='07-Aug-2009 01:44']The numbers do fluctuate as the indexer finds more items to index and then indexes them. How many items do you think are in the PST? Have you double checked the settings for WDS? Can you post a picture?

Joe[/quote]

I turned off WDS because I didn't have time to deal with it last week. I have 46,327 items in "Personal Folders." I assume that's individual emails.

I'd like to turn WDS back on, but just for Outlook. Is that possible? Thanks for your help; I appreciate it. [attachment=85120:Outlook.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Honu' post='789126' date='15-Aug-2009 10:40']I turned off WDS because I didn't have time to deal with it last week. I have 46,327 items in "Personal Folders." I assume that's individual emails.

I'd like to turn WDS back on, but just for Outlook. Is that possible? Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.[/quote]

Change the indexing options to index Outlook only.

IIRC, WDS will only index Outlook items when Outlook is running.

Joe
    Joe