New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got an HP Pavilion Elite 64-bit with Vista in late April and have numerous software problems. After failing to find fixes, HP tech support insists that I need to do system recovery and start over from scratch. I have added a bunch of software and updated drivers and so forth, and am quite reluctant to start tearing everything apart since I am unsure how to get all back together again.

I need a checklist for preparing to do a system recovery, and for actually performing a system recovery. Also, since I had a friend replace the original Radeon 3650 video card with a Radeon HD 4850, I am concerned about how to set up the system by myself from the original system which had the Radeon 3650 card setup.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The HP software which does not work includes the multimedia keys on the wireless keyboard (never worked), the HP Update software, the HP Hardware Diagnostic Tool (a PC Doctor item which came with the computer), and perhaps other items not yet noticed.

HP Tech Support does the same diagnostic ritual at each call, but always ends in failure and usually does something to eliminate all system restore points in the process. I am quite reluctant to depend on them at this point.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Flatlander' post='787784' date='06-Aug-2009 12:13']I need a checklist for preparing to do a system recovery, and for actually performing a system recovery. Also, since I had a friend replace the original Radeon 3650 video card with a Radeon HD 4850, I am concerned about how to set up the system by myself from the original system which had the Radeon 3650 card setup.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The HP software which does not work includes the multimedia keys on the wireless keyboard (never worked), the HP Update software, the HP Hardware Diagnostic Tool (a PC Doctor item which came with the computer), and perhaps other items not yet noticed.[/quote]

A system recovery from an OEM such as HP will put your PC back to the way it was when you received it. You should backup your data before starting the recovery process. You'll have to reinstall all your programs, patches, drivers, etc. Make sure you have all the installation files for your programs. Download what you need and burn to a CD.

I'm not sure what'll happen with the system recovery and a different video card.

Did the HP software ever work?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Flatlander' post='787784' date='06-Aug-2009 13:13']The HP software which does not work includes the multimedia keys on the wireless keyboard (never worked), the HP Update software, the HP Hardware Diagnostic Tool (a PC Doctor item which came with the computer), and perhaps other items not yet noticed.[/quote]
    IF <---- the problems you are having are mainly with the HP software listed above, then I wouldn't bother doing a System Recovery. What I would do is uninstall all that stuff... it is really NOT needed. It adds nothing to the functionality of Windows and updates can be done manually. They are nothing more than memory/resource hogs, IMHO. The issue with the multimedia keys could be nothing more than a driver problem which again, you can try to fix by downloading the latest drivers from HP if it is one of their own keyboards. More than likely it is manufactured by someone else and if you can find who made it, e.g., Logitech, it is possible their drivers would work and even better.

I'm not sure by how you phrased it if you are running Vista 64-bit or if the processor is a 64-bit? But if it is the former, then you must be sure that ALL software but especially drivers are 64-bit compatible. Otherwise, you will run into similar and other problems.

My
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='787925' date='07-Aug-2009 09:54']IF <---- the problems you are having are mainly with the HP software listed above, then I wouldn't bother doing a System Recovery. What I would do is uninstall all that stuff... it is really NOT needed. It adds nothing to the functionality of Windows and updates can be done manually. They are nothing more than memory/resource hogs, IMHO. The issue with the multimedia keys could be nothing more than a driver problem which again, you can try to fix by downloading the latest drivers from HP if it is one of their own keyboards. More than likely it is manufactured by someone else and if you can find who made it, e.g., Logitech, it is possible their drivers would work and even better.

I'm not sure by how you phrased it if you are running Vista 64-bit or if the processor is a 64-bit? But if it is the former, then you must be sure that ALL software but especially drivers are 64-bit compatible. Otherwise, you will run into similar and other problems.

My [/quote]

Hi TwoCents -

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I am running a 64-bit processor as well as Vista 64-bit. HP is very sloppy about maintaining driver lists that are correct and reliable. They are indifferent about mistaken listings and other problems. Much of their software simply does not work, which leads them to claim that only a system recovery will PROVE that the original setup is dysfunctional. Of course, this also allows them to avoid dealing with the problems in their driver updates, as well.

I appreciate your response. HP usually ends up providing the same advice, explicitly, that is: "Oh, you don't need the multimedia keys on your keyboard. You don't really need the HP Update program or the HP Advice Center or the Hardware Diagnostics Program. Just turn them all off, along with Windows Defender and anything else that doesn't work on our system. It's mind over matter: If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Take care.

Flatlander

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787875' date='06-Aug-2009 22:03']A system recovery from an OEM such as HP will put your PC back to the way it was when you received it. You should backup your data before starting the recovery process. You'll have to reinstall all your programs, patches, drivers, etc. Make sure you have all the installation files for your programs. Download what you need and burn to a CD.

I'm not sure what'll happen with the system recovery and a different video card.

Did the HP software ever work?

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe -

This is the second attempt to post to your reply. I hope this works.

Regarding the HP software, no, it never did work and the problems just keep spreading as I examine additional programs. They do not spread fast, it is just that they are not functional in the appropriate ways that they should be and the HP tech support people do not get beyond a limited ritual of reinstalling a driver or program and then declaring that only a system recovery can really show that they have a software glitch. So, HP Update, the Hardware Diagnostics Tool (PC doctor program that came with the machine), the multimedia keys on the keyboard and their related driver, and so forth, do not work and HP tech support seems to just make things more problematical.

HP hides from these issues by claiming everything HAD to work when it left the factory, so I should just do a system recovery. Oh, and I should figure out how to get past all their system recovery issues on my own.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your response.

Flatlander

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Flatlander' post='788115' date='08-Aug-2009 19:26']Regarding the HP software, no, it never did work and the problems just keep spreading as I examine additional programs. They do not spread fast, it is just that they are not functional in the appropriate ways that they should be and the HP tech support people do not get beyond a limited ritual of reinstalling a driver or program and then declaring that only a system recovery can really show that they have a software glitch. So, HP Update, the Hardware Diagnostics Tool (PC doctor program that came with the machine), the multimedia keys on the keyboard and their related driver, and so forth, do not work and HP tech support seems to just make things more problematical.[/quote]

The big OEMs, such as HP, Dell, etc., generally are not lying that a machine should work when a system is restored to factory settings. If it does not then you may have a lemon. I recommend you backup all the data you care about and then do the restore. Don't install any other programs. See if the machine is in working order. If it is NOT then contact HP and be insistent on getting serious help. If it does work OK then apply Windows patches and see if it is still working. Then start installing one application at a time. Apply patches and then run for a while (you get to define what a while is) before installing another application.

I know it is time consuming and tedious but that may be the only way to figure out what is causing your problem.

Joe
    Joe