Thanks
    If I change my default browser to anything other than IE, then, when I change it (back) to IE, the Home (web page) key still loads the web page in the "other browser I had set a s a default before switching back.

The default browser setting appears OK, but that button gets stuck on the different browser.

Why, and how can I fix it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='787785' date='06-Aug-2009 13:18']If I change my default browser to anything other than IE, then, when I change it (back) to IE, the Home (web page) key still loads the web page in the "other browser I had set a s a default before switching back.

The default browser setting appears OK, but that button gets stuck on the different browser.

Why, and how can I fix it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]
    Have you tried:

[attachment=85002:Capture8...51.46_PM.jpg]
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='787791' date='06-Aug-2009 10:53']Have you tried:

[attachment=85002:Capture8...51.46_PM.jpg][/quote]

Yup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='787791' date='06-Aug-2009 10:53']Have you tried:

[attachment=85002:Capture8...51.46_PM.jpg][/quote]

Bob:

The home page loads fine in both browsers -- except if I try to do it with the key on the kb.

This happened once before, and when I restored a backup registry, it was fine again.

So what the heck setting is it that gets triggered that overrides the hardware config.

And, if I go to the "Default Programs" Applet, sure I can switch the default browser, but it isn't touching that one setting.

This is actually a Windows question as much as a hardware one, because it doesn't matter what browser does it -- they all do it -- Chrome, Firefox... -- once that key is switched, it won't switch back.

So I suppose what I need to find out is where in the registry those key settings are stored, so that I can back them up separately.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck,
    I assume you reinstalled the drivers for the device?

Check out this MS site for tips and clips on their wireless device troubleshooting.
    WIRELESS KEYBOARDS
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='787854' date='06-Aug-2009 16:57']Chuck,
    I assume you reinstalled the drivers for the device?

Check out this MS site for tips and clips on their wireless device troubleshooting.
    WIRELESS KEYBOARDS[/quote]

Bob, yes I did try re-installing. And the link hangs, so I'll try it later. It's something specific, because it happens every time, just like clockwork:

Everything is OK, keyboard takes me to homepage using IE (the default) as the browser;

I change to another browser as my default;

Now the key will take me to the homepage using the "new" browser;

I switch back to IE as default;

The key uses the "other browser (still) instead of going back to IE.

There's some specific setting that is being ignored when I re-assign IE as the default, but NOT being ignored by any other browser when IT is set as Te default.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='787858' date='06-Aug-2009 19:20']Bob, yes I did try re-installing. And the link hangs, so I'll try it later. It's something specific, because it happens every time, just like clockwork:

Everything is OK, keyboard takes me to homepage using IE (the default) as the browser;

I change to another browser as my default;

Now the key will take me to the homepage using the "new" browser;

I switch back to IE as default;

The key uses the "other browser (still) instead of going back to IE.

There's some specific setting that is being ignored when I re-assign IE as the default, but NOT being ignored by any other browser when IT is set as Te default.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]

Have you checked the keyboard properties in the Microsoft Keyboard software?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787868' date='06-Aug-2009 19:16']Have you checked the keyboard properties in the Microsoft Keyboard software?

Joe[/quote]

Joe I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. I picked the correct keyboard at set up, and, as noted, it worked fine until I re-assigned IE as the3 default, and then it wouldn't go to the home page with the default, but rather used the browser that had been applied.

Everything *look* OK in the applet.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='787882' date='07-Aug-2009 00:48']Joe I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. I picked the correct keyboard at set up, and, as noted, it worked fine until I re-assigned IE as the3 default, and then it wouldn't go to the home page with the default, but rather used the browser that had been applied.

Everything *look* OK in the applet.[/quote]

In the applet you can define/re-define what keys do. Knowing your prediliction for changing anything and everything on a PC I just thought you may have made a manual modification. Even if you didn't you might be able to change it back.

BTW, what OS and what version of the keyboard software?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787913' date='07-Aug-2009 06:43']In the applet you can define/re-define what keys do. Knowing your prediliction for changing anything and everything on a PC I just thought you may have made a manual modification. Even if you didn't you might be able to change it back.

BTW, what OS and what version of the keyboard software?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I'm running the Windows 7 RC - 7100? - and I'm got MS IntelliType Pro v7.0.204.

And no, I didn't change that at all. I do set the 5 favorite keys at the top of the keyboard, but that's it.

I did find last night, that, rather than using the keyboard's default setting for the Web / Home key, if I set it specifically to a page, it will use the default browser.

But that doesn't answer which setting gets tampered with when I change my default browser, and then does NOT get reset going back to IE.

And why in the world would MS put the keys on the keyboard, with the ability to set keys on both the hardware and in the software, if 1) They shouldn't be set, and 2) If they aren't going to work?

If I find something doesn't work as promised / advertised / designed / promoted, I would think that an alert company that cared two cents about their image would want to know.

I view my predilection could be seen as my gift to the PC world at large!

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='787948' date='07-Aug-2009 12:00']I did find last night, that, rather than using the keyboard's default setting for the Web / Home key, if I set it specifically to a page, it will use the default browser.

But that doesn't answer which setting gets tampered with when I change my default browser, and then does NOT get reset going back to IE.

And why in the world would MS put the keys on the keyboard, with the ability to set keys on both the hardware and in the software, if 1) They shouldn't be set, and 2) If they aren't going to work?

If I find something doesn't work as promised / advertised / designed / promoted, I would think that an alert company that cared two cents about their image would want to know.[/quote]

If you really want to track down what gets changed use a tool such as Process Monitor.

It appears as though you've found a software bug. Why don't you contact support to report it?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='787969' date='07-Aug-2009 12:23']If you really want to track down what gets changed use a tool such as Process Monitor.

It appears as though you've found a software bug. Why don't you contact support to report it?

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I guess the price I pay for tinkering is a bit of insecurity: I'm not always sure it's just not something I screwed up or am missing somewhere.

As it is apparently either a software glitch or a hardware issue, I see no point in going beyond reporting it -- to whom, I'm not sure, but I'll find it.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='787993' date='07-Aug-2009 15:57']Joe, I guess the price I pay for tinkering is a bit of insecurity: I'm not always sure it's just not something I screwed up or am missing somewhere.

As it is apparently either a software glitch or a hardware issue, I see no point in going beyond reporting it -- to whom, I'm not sure, but I'll find it.[/quote]

Check the support links at Microsoft Hardware Home Page.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='788028' date='07-Aug-2009 20:15']Check the support links at Microsoft Hardware Home Page.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks Joe.

Regards,
    Chuck