2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to have 2 Word documents visible on the screen at the same time. Does Word 2000 provide a way to split the screen vertically instead of horizontally, and if so, how?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no built-in command to do so - if you have two documents open, Window | Arrange All arranges the windows horizontally. You'll have to arrange the windows side by side manually, or run the following macro:

Code:
    Sub ArrangeVertically()
      Dim i As Integer
      Dim n As Integer
      Dim w As Long
      Dim h As Long
      n = Windows.Count
      w = Application.UsableWidth / n
      h = Application.UsableHeight
      For i = 1 To n
    	With Windows(i)
    	  .WindowState = wdWindowStateNormal
    	  .Top = 0
    	  .Height = h
    	  .Width = w
    	  .Left = w * (i - 1)
    	End With
      Next i
    End Sub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the macro. I tried that since I don't know how to manually arrange two documents vertically.

I'm attaching the macro I recorded from your example. It doesn't work, so I undoubtedly made errors in recording it -- very possibly in the "With Windows(i) section. Yours looks like there are dots (.) in front of each item, and I put them in. Is that correct????

To test, I opened two short documents and ran the macro. Instead of splitting the screen, the macro code displayed itself at the end of one of the documents. So I tried editing, removing one of the dots. It still doesn't work. Before I totally mess up everything, please advise me.

Betcha can tell I'm not a programmer!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Betsy Frick' post='787922' date='07-Aug-2009 16:39']I'm attaching the macro I recorded from your example.[/quote]
    I don't see an attachment...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Betsy Frick' post='787812' date='07-Aug-2009 06:21']I want to have 2 Word documents visible on the screen at the same time. Does Word 2000 provide a way to split the screen vertically instead of horizontally, and if so, how?[/quote]
    In Word 2000 the Single Document Interface (SDI) is standard which means that the two documents appear in their own windows with a duplicated set of buttons. Assuming that you don't already run the Romke Soldaat addin that gives you back the MDI (two docs in one window), you can use the built in Windows function to arrange your currently open applications either vertically or horizontally.
    Right click on the taskbar and choose 'Tile Windows Horizontally'
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='787923' date='07-Aug-2009 14:42']I don't see an attachment...[/quote]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry the attachment didn't travel with the reply. Trying again . . .

I found the file to attach and clicked the Upload button. Now there's a message saying the file is available from Manage Current Attachments. Yes, No, Maybe?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The attachment succeeded this time.

You have copied the macro code into the document. To use a macro, you need to copy the code into a module in the Visual Basic Editor.
    If you copy it into a module in a specific document, the macro will only be available in that document, but if you copy it into a module in your default template Normal.dot, it will be available in all documents. To do so:
    - Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    - Locate and select Normal in the Project Explorer, that is the tree-view on the left hand side of the Visual Basic Editor.
    - Select Insert | Module.
    - Copy and paste the code into the module window that appears.
    - Press Alt+F11 to switch back to Word.
    - You can run the macro (if more than one document is open) from Tools | Macro | Macros...

- If you wish, you can assign the ArrangeVertically macro to a toolbar button:
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Activate the Commands tab.
    - In the list of Categories on the left, select Macros.
    - Select the macro in the list of Commands on the right; it will be listed as Normal.Module1.ArrangeVertically or similar.
    - Drag it to a convenient location on a toolbar or drag it to the Window menu.
    - You can right-click the new toolbar button (or menu option) to change its properties.
    - Close the Customize dialog when you're done.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah Ha! The macro works!
    Hans, you are just the best.
    Thanks a million.

Betsy Frick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks also to Andrew Lockton for his reminder that Word enables Tiling documents horizontally or vertically.

That works, too. In fact, it was this feature that I was trying to recall when I asked the original question. As typical of Word, now I have at least 2 ways to accomplish this task!

You are all the best.

Betsy Frick