Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Need your advice. Wanted to create a small logo, where I have inserted a jpg in a cell in a table, otherwise filled with text. The text came out perfectly, but the jpg printed out as a black box (not grayscale, totally black). Using XP SP3, with all updates, Word 2003, and an HP 6210 all-in-one. Checked (hopefully) all settings: normal. HP on-line chat cannot help. What else should I check?
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like a corruption in the JPG file. Just to rule out the table as a factor, copy the jpg into a new document and not into a table cell and print that - do you get the same dud result.

I would try a different file format for the logo. JPGs are great for photos but are often not the best format for logos. Without seeing the logo or knowing what program you created it in it is hard to say which format is best to go into a Word document. I would save the logo as a PNG (or GIF) or even in a vector format to try something different.

Another thing you could try is to convert the JPG into a Windows bitmap by double clicking it in Word. This tells Word that you want to edit it and so the format gets converted to an uncompressed format and the file size will probably jump as a result. This is not something you should normally avoid but a printable graphic is better than a small file size.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply. The JPG is fine, prints correctly in thwo other application (Irfanview, Faststone).
    The logo is a photo of an exquisite jewelry. Funny thing is, after inserting it into the cell and right-clicking, the "Edit picture" option is grayed out.
    When I double click it in Word, the "Format picture" box comes up, with no indication of how to convert JPG to anything (actually, no conversion
    options at all).
    I have converted the original jpg with Irfanview to bmp, and lo and behold: it's printed out fine!
    Thank you very much for a solution.
    Adam
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='787859' date='06-Aug-2009 20:30']It sounds like a corruption in the JPG file. Just to rule out the table as a factor, copy the jpg into a new document and not into a table cell and print that - do you get the same dud result.

I would try a different file format for the logo. JPGs are great for photos but are often not the best format for logos. Without seeing the logo or knowing what program you created it in it is hard to say which format is best to go into a Word document. I would save the logo as a PNG (or GIF) or even in a vector format to try something different.

Another thing you could try is to convert the JPG into a Windows bitmap by double clicking it in Word. This tells Word that you want to edit it and so the format gets converted to an uncompressed format and the file size will probably jump as a result. This is not something you should normally avoid but a printable graphic is better than a small file size.[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='KerteszAdam' post='787863' date='07-Aug-2009 10:57']Thanks for the quick reply. The JPG is fine, prints correctly in thwo other application (Irfanview, Faststone).
    The logo is a photo of an exquisite jewelry. Funny thing is, after inserting it into the cell and right-clicking, the "Edit picture" option is grayed out.
    When I double click it in Word, the "Format picture" box comes up, with no indication of how to convert JPG to anything (actually, no conversion
    options at all).
    I have converted the original jpg with Irfanview to bmp, and lo and behold: it's printed out fine!
    Thank you very much for a solution.
    Adam[/quote]

I had this a few years ago. If my memory is correct it was caused by having a fill in the cell. Could have been through the stationery being (In my case Cyan) Back to the old standard of Blue text on Cyan background.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the old cell (it's in an Avery label), has no fill. I still wonder what is the real cause.
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='787876' date='06-Aug-2009 23:19']I had this a few years ago. If my memory is correct it was caused by having a fill in the cell. Could have been through the stationery being (In my case Cyan) Back to the old standard of Blue text on Cyan background.[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='KerteszAdam' post='787947' date='08-Aug-2009 02:49']I checked the old cell (it's in an Avery label), has no fill. I still wonder what is the real cause.[/quote]
    Just a thought, are you using an Avery template or one of your one creations?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's an Avery 5164 template (I had a laser printer, when this template was used, changed into an inkjet - I don't think, that was the problem), which had only text in it. I was asked to put a small picture in it, and that's how it started.
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='788009' date='07-Aug-2009 20:13']Just a thought, are you using an Avery template or one of your one creations?[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='KerteszAdam' post='788019' date='08-Aug-2009 12:24']It's an Avery 5164 template (I had a laser printer, when this template was used, changed into an inkjet - I don't think, that was the problem), which had only text in it. I was asked to put a small picture in it, and that's how it started.[/quote]
    I think you could find that is exactly the problem. Why not take the details of the Avery template, create your own and see what the results are, I know I had to do exactly that some time ago. Whether I was using an earlier version of the template I cannot remember.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even creating my own table, the inserted jpg comes out all black. I have no patience to try with other jpegs; rather try to remember to insert
    bmps.
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='788044' date='08-Aug-2009 05:35']I think you could find that is exactly the problem. Why not take the details of the Avery template, create your own and see what the results are, I know I had to do exactly that some time ago. Whether I was using an earlier version of the template I cannot remember.[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='KerteszAdam' post='788095' date='08-Aug-2009 14:07']I have no patience to try with other jpegs; rather try to remember to insert bmps.[/quote]
    Not all JPEGs are created equal. With the option for progressive rendering and an embedded color profile, there are many possibilities for creating rendering problems. So you might have found one fluke that won't recur in the future. If you find a pattern, perhaps you could post a sample so others can examine it.