New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2. I have been using Backup and restore Center to backup my files and have gotten irritated with having to remove old backups manually. I understand that there is no option to only keep a predetermined number of backups and this stinks. I've tried using Nero Backitup but this program is a bit more complex than I would like. Is there anyone out there that has a good recommendation of a third party backup application that I should try? Or better yet does anyone know how I can schedule an automatic removal of the old backups?

Thanks,
    George

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gde316' post='787860' date='06-Aug-2009 20:43']... Is there anyone out there that has a good recommendation of a third party backup application that I should try?[/quote]
    You probably don't want to hear this, but ShadowProtect Desktop Edition is an excellent IMAGING program and worth every penny. It's fast and does have the ability to store however many backups you want to keep.

The reason I said what I did is that an imaging program will NOT backup only selected files. They're designed to make an exact copy of an entire partition and store it in an "image" file. As I said, it's fast and you CAN restore one or more files from an image whenever you need to. You ought to give it a look, and if you don't like what you see, come on back because there are other such programs (imaging) that you might look at.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gde316' post='787860' date='06-Aug-2009 20:43']So, I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2. I have been using Backup and restore Center to backup my files and have gotten irritated with having to remove old backups manually. I understand that there is no option to only keep a predetermined number of backups and this stinks. I've tried using Nero Backitup but this program is a bit more complex than I would like. Is there anyone out there that has a good recommendation of a third party backup application that I should try? Or better yet does anyone know how I can schedule an automatic removal of the old backups?[/quote]
    In Vista Ultimate you have "2" backup options... 1) Backup Files/Folders and 2) Complete PC Backup. I have only used the "File/Folder" utility once and that was about 2 years ago just to try it out. So, I cannot speak to that part IF that is what you are doing. However, I do use the "Complete PC Backup" weekly in addition to using Acronis Echo Workstation that does automatic daily backups of the Vista system. The "Complete PC Backup" does not accumulate backups but rather it overwrites them each time particularly when the space where you store the backup is full.

The only drawback to using "Complete PC Backup" is that you cannot recover individual files or folders... it's an all or nothing deal. I would say you have a couple of choices here, assuming that you are using the "File/Folder" backup.

1) Manually backup your files/folders using the old tried-and-true "drag & drop" or "copy/cut & paste" methods. This will overwrite the existing copies and thus you won't get the problem you are having now. This is what I do and it only takes about 10 minutes or less when done regularly.

2) Purchase either "Shadow Protect Desktop" as BigAlDoc recommended, which is an excellent program or "Acronis Backup & Recovery Workstation", another excellent product which is Acronis' latest offering and which is very similar since it now includes the "Universal Restore" feature where you can do "Bare Metal Restores", i.e., both programs will allow you to restore a backup image to a machine with different hardware (e.g., you upgrade your motherboard, processor, etc., of your existing machine, or you purchase another new machine, build your own, etc.). And, both programs give you easy access to the backup image where you can quickly recover (drag & drop or copy/paste) files, folders, etc.

That being said, I hope that you are backing up your data or system to a different hard drive and not to the same hard drive, right? IF you are backing up to the same hard drive then what would you do if your system got hosed by a virus, trojan, etc., or you had a hard drive failure? Your backup then becomes totally useless, although if the failure was not due to a physical failure you could recover the data via connecting the drive to another PC.

Food for thought?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator