5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screen Saver on Taskbar

I've begun to get a "Screen Saver" item on my taskbar that does not go away when the screen saver stops. I've seen this on other Win98 & 98SE pc's, but this is a recent development on my home pc. Nothing has been recently installed or updated (to my knowledge). Anyone have any ideas why I'm getting these taskbar buttons? I've seen one with "Screen Saver" on it, plus up to half a dozen other blank buttons.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Screen Saver on Taskbar

This the result of the Screen Saver not giving back all the the ram and resources. Have you made any changes to your hibernation settings, desktop and/or a different screen saver that was not being used earlier.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I havn't changed my power settings in a very long time, but I must confess that I regularly change my desktop and screensaver settings; boredom tends to set in quickly. The thing that gets me is that my system is predominantly unchanged from when this was not happening -- with one notable exception: I recently installed a Xerox Workcentre 940 (copier/scanner/printer/fax gizmo). Is it possible, or even likely, that the files loaded during the installation have had this impact on the OS? The machine does have its own power-saver settings that can be controlled through Windows.

Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q280/7/22.ASP>Q280722</A> Icon Is Displayed on the Taskbar After Closing the Screen Saver

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the KB link, but unfortunately it is the same symptom but different problem. I run Win98, not SE, and know nothing about the fix that it is referring to.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It happens on 98 and SE, the article is not complete on that.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I now have proof positive what has been causing this problem on my pc's.

I have two pc's at home, only one of which had been giving me this problem. It was the one with the Xerox M940 printer/scanner/copier/fax installed. This weekend I had reason to move the gizmo, and installed the necessary software on my other pc. Voila! It too was now experiencing the same screen saver problem.

After restoring the Xerox to its usual pc, the problem did not go away on the second one -- until I went into MSCONFIG and disabled the drivers that were no longer being used for the Xerox. Eureka! Everything is back to normal on the second pc.

To me, this is concrete evidence that it is Xerox's drivers causing the problem. Now I guess it's time to head off to the Xerox sites to see if they have any fixes available.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...and , of course, to tell them what you've just told us.