New Lounger
    Thanks

where to learn more about charts? (Access 97, SR-2)

Greetings, all. Can anyone suggest some resources where I can learn more about working with charts?

My background: 11 months ago I had never seen or used Access. Now I'm the most experienced Access person in my department. (Yikes.) I've been struggling to get a pie chart to work for a while now. When the Chart Wizard gets to the step of dragging field names onto the chart, I've been unable to do so in a way that it graphs what I want. It's making me suspect that the table it's based on is somehow set up in a way that a pie chart won't work with it.

A quick summary, putting it in terms of sales: Location A sold 5 smalls, 4 mediums, and 2 large; Location B sold 18 smalls, 1 medium, and 8 large, and so on. I need a graph that shows, for each location, what contribution did each size make to the total number of items sold? Access (or MS Graph - I'm not sure where the problem lies) seems to be showing the answer to the question, "Of all the smalls sold by any of our locations, how many were from Location A? How many from B?" and so on.

Any suggestions for websites or books that give good explanations of how charts work and how they interact with Access? I'll be most grateful for any recommendations.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: where to learn more about charts? (Access 97, SR-2)

A pie chart is a very basic sort of chart. It essentially has only two dimensions, so I don't think you'll be able to build it the way you want to using MS Graph (which is also what Access uses, BTW), at least, not unless you organize the data ahead of time into its separate pieces. You could build a pie chart that showed each location's contribution to the whole, and you could build a chart to show the size breakout for a location, but you can't build a pie chart that does both at once -- too many dimensions.

What you could do is create a query that returned something like LocationASmalls, LocationAMediums, etc., and then use that as the datasource for your pie chart. That would show the contribution to the overall total from each of those location-size values, but that's as far as you can take a pie chart. You can't show the individual contribution to the location as well as its relationship to the total contribution of all locations, which sounds like what you're trying to do. If that's the case, then I would suggest you try a different kind of chart that allows more dimensions to be represented.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I see I've been unclear about what I want the report to do. It's 2 pages per location, so (for instance) you get a page of information about Location A and its activities, and then on the second page is a pie chart showing graphically what the breakdown of sizes is for that location only. One location, one chart. Then on to Location B, starting a new page with fresh information and a pie chart for Location B only. (Eventually it needs to be a linked, embedded chart, I think - but no point in thinking about that until the basic chart is working.)

What I'm getting is a pie chart that shows, for each size, how many of that size each location sold - so instead of a pie chart per location with 3 slices each (# of smalls, # of mediums, # of larges) it's making a pie chart for one size with as many slices as I have locations (Location A sold 3, Location B sold 8, Location C sold 6, etc.).

If this were Excel, I'd think, "Aha! I need to tell it the data is in rows, not columns." In Access, I'm stumped.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Access, you need to tell it much the same thing. What is the datasource for the chart? What fields are ther in a record and how are you trying to use them?
    Charlotte