Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone:

Currently I am running under Vista on a new HP Compaq Presario. With my purchase came an pre installed month trial version of the Norton Anti Virus program. My last computer had the Avast Anti Virus program.

Question-1: When the Norton Anti Virus 6 month trial period runs out, does this program automatically uninstall (or do I uninstall it myself) ??

Question-2: What is your honest opinion about Norton Anti Virus program ?? Any good recommendations ??

Thanks for your input...

Theodore

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Question-1: When the Norton Anti Virus 6 month trial period runs out, does this program automatically uninstall (or do I uninstall it myself) ??

It will not uninstall itself. You'll be asked whether you want to buy a subscription, and if you don't, the program will keep on working, but you won't get updates any more (updates are essential, with new nasties being released every day), and you'll be nagged frequently to do something about it.
    If you want to switch to another antivirus program, you'll have to uninstall Norton AntiVirus yourself.

Question-2: What is your honest opinion about Norton AntiVirus program ?? Any good recommendations ??

I am very satisfied with Norton AntiVirus 2009. Unlike the versions of several years ago, it uses very little memory and CPU capacity during its normal operation. Scans are performed when the computer is idle; if you start using your computer during a scan, the scan will be interrupted and it will resume where it left off next time. Updates are frequent and unobtrusive. And my PC hasn't been infected with anything for years.

But if you prefer a free program, Avast! is certainly a good choice.

Thanks
    [quote name='Theodore' post='788058' date='08-Aug-2009 15:23'][/quote]
    You might want to have a look at this article and especially this chart, which compares the results from ever-so-many antivirus vendors....
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='788061' date='08-Aug-2009 10:47']You might want to have a look at this article and especially this chart, which compares the results from ever-so-many antivirus vendors....[/quote]

The chart is a surprising eye-opener. I'm not familiar with G DATA. Is this the AV software or the company name?
    Regards,
    PaulB