New Lounger
    Thanks
    I acquired Windows 7 and would like to install it (a clean install) on my netbook. This machine does not have a cd/dvd drive so burning the .iso to a disk is out of the question. It is currently running XP. I don't have a usb drive big enough to hold the files and I would rather not go out and spend the money on one. I've heard it is possible to use a partitioned drive to install it but I don't know how one would go about doing that

Any help would be great. Tl;dr I need to install Windows 7 on a netbook without burning a disk or using a thumb drive.

EDIT: Also, what is the best way for me to back up my computer before doing the install? I would like to use an external hard drive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ekim' post='788084' date='08-Aug-2009 15:28']I acquired Windows 7 and would like to install it (a clean install) on my netbook.[/quote]
    First of all, if the Windows 7 you acquired is still the Beta version, be sure you think twice before putting it on your only machine. When the final version is available to the general public, it might not be what you installed.

Having said that, I don't know how one manages in this era without a CD/DVD drive. If I had a laptop that had none, I would seriously consider buying an external. Yeah, they cost a bit but not like they used to. One example:

Thanks
    To install any operating system on a netbook you are going to have to have at least one of:
    • external USB CD/DVD drive (as indicated by Big Al) - in the UK these are 50+
    • USB Flash Drive - in the UK you can get a 16 GB one for about 18
    • external USB hard drive - take your pick! But remember you have to be able to boot from it...
    You will have to have the bootable ISO on the chosen device, and be able to change the boot entry in the BIOS so that you can boot from that device. (In the case of the USB Flash Drive you have to pre-prepare it using the HP USB Formatting Tool, or equivalent software.)

Personally I would go for the external USB CD/DVD dive, because that gives you a backup method as well. But Flash Drives are cheaper, if you only buy a very few of them...

Sometimes netbooks aren't as cheap in practice as the manufacturers make out!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ekim' post='788084' date='08-Aug-2009 15:28']I acquired Windows 7 and would like to install it (a clean install) on my netbook. This machine does not have a cd/dvd drive so burning the .iso to a disk is out of the question. It is currently running XP. I don't have a usb drive big enough to hold the files and I would rather not go out and spend the money on one. I've heard it is possible to use a partitioned drive to install it but I don't know how one would go about doing that

Any help would be great. Tl;dr I need to install Windows 7 on a netbook without burning a disk or using a thumb drive.

EDIT: Also, what is the best way for me to back up my computer before doing the install? I would like to use an external hard drive.[/quote]

Windows 7 Ultimate files (copied from an installation disk that has been burned using the ISO) total 2.34 GB. That is all the storage you need to install the Ultimate Retail version (i.e. RTM). No one has mentioned installing from SD, if your netbook has a socket for a card, nor from a network, which I think should be possible, nor from a USB device other than a flash drive, such as an external hard drive, which you imply you already have.

If you have a network connector, you can back up to another computer; if you have an external drive (presumably USB) you can back up to that. Acronis has a trial offer available at present if you want some backup software, trial or beta, complete with online storage.