New Lounger
    Thanks
    My HP laptop no longer is able to see the wifi card and the light on the front is amber instead of blue. I have heard that it could be a vista update issue but I reformated the disc and loaded the essentials with no luck. My son will be taking this laptop to college next month and I'd really like to find a fix. Currently I am using a wifi adaptor and all else is fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='Clover' post='788112' date='08-Aug-2009 19:09']My HP laptop no longer is able to see the wifi card and the light on the front is amber instead of blue. I have heard that it could be a vista update issue but I reformated the disc and loaded the essentials with no luck. My son will be taking this laptop to college next month and I'd really like to find a fix. Currently I am using a wifi adaptor and all else is fine.[/quote]

Have you checked the HP support site for a wi-fi driver?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='788112' date='08-Aug-2009 20:09'] My HP laptop no longer is able to see the wifi card and the light on the front is amber instead of blue.[/quote]
    Hi Clover,
    Have you, by any chance, moved the slider switch right next to the Wifi light on the front? This toggles wifi on/off.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I already checked out the HP web site and reloaded the driver, and I've tried moving the switch in the front several times to get it to toggle back on. I'm not sure if there is a keyboard shortcut to toggle the wifi on or off. Regardless my device manager can not see the wifi card, it is as if it just disappeared.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='788377' date='11-Aug-2009 03:10']I already checked out the HP web site and reloaded the driver, and I've tried moving the switch in the front several times to get it to toggle back on. I'm not sure if there is a keyboard shortcut to toggle the wifi on or off. Regardless my device manager can not see the wifi card, it is as if it just disappeared.[/quote]
    Does your Device Manager show any yellow error marks? Specifically under the Network Adapters?
    My laptop uses an Atheros AR507 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='788112' date='08-Aug-2009 20:09'] My HP laptop no longer is able to see the wifi card and the light on the front is amber instead of blue. I have heard that it could be a vista update issue but I reformated the disc and loaded the essentials with no luck. My son will be taking this laptop to college next month and I'd really like to find a fix. Currently I am using a wifi adaptor and all else is fine.[/quote]

There are (at least) two different switch locations that are used by HP, so this will depend on which of the two you have. You won't have both.

One location is at the right end of a strip of switches above the keyboard (and effectively part of the keyboard), and it is approximately horizontal, and the other is a sliding switch on the front vertical surface. The first location is likely to be a more expensive computer, and the second less so. Your description sounds like you have the first.

If it is the first, then in a word, tap. Gently but accurately and carefully tap once, and you may have your light. Don't press, shove, push, or double-tap, just tap. Before you try that you might just try touch. I had exactly the same problem, I had HP on the phone for a considerable time to no avail, but these are touch switches and I eventually discovered on my own that a light touch or tap really does work. That won't help you with drivers, if you have a problem there, but the switch itself should work. If it is still there, the Microsoft logo + X will bring up a lovely set of menus, but you did say that you had formatted the drive, so I don't know what will or won't work.

This is exactly why I am trying to set up a dual boot arrangement for Windows 7; I want to retain the lifeline to HP for its devices, drivers, and software, all of which work well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer your questions: no there is no yellow mark under the network adapters, also my wifi switch is in the front. The network card is from Broadcom

I just finished flashing the memory, and did a clean reload of the hard drive, installing only the critical updates and I still have no internal wifi. I was hoping to find a fix before settling on an external wifi adapter. It would just be more convenient for my son at school not to need too many gadgets.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='788534' date='11-Aug-2009 20:40']To answer your questions: no there is no yellow mark under the network adapters, also my wifi switch is in the front. The network card is from Broadcom

I just finished flashing the memory, and did a clean reload of the hard drive, installing only the critical updates and I still have no internal wifi. I was hoping to find a fix before settling on an external wifi adapter. It would just be more convenient for my son at school not to need too many gadgets.[/quote]

All right, I have one of those too. Mine is an HP Mini. To toggle the right-hand (wireless) switch on or off (blue or amber, respectively), I slide it to the left, toward the centre, and it has a strong spring to return it to its home position. All else is over my head at present.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='788534' date='11-Aug-2009 20:40']To answer your questions: no there is no yellow mark under the network adapters, also my wifi switch is in the front. The network card is from Broadcom
    I just finished flashing the memory, and did a clean reload of the hard drive, installing only the critical updates and I still have no internal wifi. I was hoping to find a fix before settling on an external wifi adapter. It would just be more convenient for my son at school not to need too many gadgets.[/quote]
    Ok Clover, we are getting to the nitty gritty here. Last thing I can recommend:
    On your hard drive you have a directory called C:\SWSETUP, should be right off the root. In this directory are all of the 'programs' used by HP for installations. One directory in particular under this is called: WLAN - this directory contains the installation files for Wifi Lan Assistant. Try running the Setup.exe file in this directory. It will re-install the wifi manager and hopefully jog something loose.
    When you mention 'Did a clean reload of the hard drive' did you do the F11 thing that wipes out the hard drive and brings the laptop back to 'factory condition' or did you apply an image of the hard drive?
    If the WiFi reinstall doesn't work, I would be very tempted to do the F11 on boot up and then if there is still no WiFi call HP back - there must be a faulty hardware issue.
    School is coming soon, hope you get this sorted.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion, I'll let you know how things go, right now I'm in the middle of another project but I will be able to try your suggestion in a few days. And yes I applied an image of the hard drive. Sometimes there just seems to be too many variable to work with but I figure if nothing else works right now my kid will just have to deal with a wifi adapter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bleduc,

Thanks for all your time and effort to help me with my computer issue, I really appreciate the help. As for your last message, I did what you suggested and still no luck. I even removed the wifi card to see if it was burned out, but it appears to be OK. I later went out and bought a wifi adapter, it works better than the built in, so at this time unless HP comes out with a fix, I'm suspending my search.

Thanks to all that replied.

Clover

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Clover' post='789361' date='17-Aug-2009 14:16']bleduc,

Thanks for all your time and effort to help me with my computer issue, I really appreciate the help. As for your last message, I did what you suggested and still no luck. I even removed the wifi card to see if it was burned out, but it appears to be OK. I later went out and bought a wifi adapter, it works better than the built in, so at this time unless HP comes out with a fix, I'm suspending my search.

Thanks to all that replied.

Clover[/quote]
    At least you ended up in a warm fuzzy place But it sure doesn't speak well for the manufacturer <sigh>.