Thanks
    For some reason, this

subst z: "g:\My Documents"

returns Path Not Found for the target path, even though

dir "g:\My Documents\"

works fine, and even

subst u: "\\mycomputername\g\my documents\"

seems to work.

This is the first time I'm trying this manouvre in Vista, and it always worked in previous versions of windows.

I am running the command prompt as an administrator.

I prefer not to use the UNC path as I've previously had issues with this failing when I'm not connected to a network (or not connected to a network adaptor - I forget which), similarly for NetUse.

Seems very bizarre behaviour.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    [quote name='Mark P' post='788154' date='09-Aug-2009 14:21'][/quote]
    I'm a bit puzzled by what you find, too, but for the opposite reason. "My Documents" should be C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents" (on XP, at least) - I'm not sure where G:\My Documents comes from. Have you moved it to another drive?

A bit of Googling only brought up something to the effect that "Windows Vista User Account Protection introduces a special behavior with Subst.exe as the drive-letter is only seen by the user-account that has performed the mapping. This means that when changing between regular user and elevated user then, one has to perform the subst command in both contexts."

The use of SUBST has been deprecated for ever such a long time (as far back as 'real' DOS!), so I'm really not too surprised that it appears to be getting more flaky.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks

I have, indeed, relocated my My Documents folder.

I did try running the command prompt both as an adminstrator and a regular user, and had the same result.

I may be able to get away with netuse now, as I'm remembering that my previous problem was with a laptop with no built in network adaptor, and it failed to function in that setting, whereas subst would work fine.

These days, I'd still prefer to use subst, because the circumstances in which I'd be using it are when (infrequently) revisiting programs from that earlier era, and I only want a temporary drive substitiution, whereas netuse defaults to permanent.

I don't want to use anything too new fangled, as I still have machines running windows 2000, as well as XP and, sadly, Vista (a tablet laptop, and I don't have any other OS which will support the tablet functionality, other than that which was preinstalled).

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour in Vista?