Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone!

I'm attempting to build my first ever desktop pc at home and was wondering if anyone has any advice about parts, assembly, etc. I've boon researching and have created a wish list on Newegg of the parts that I think will work. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

-G
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='Padawan15' post='788296' date='10-Aug-2009 13:27']I'm attempting to build my first ever desktop pc at home and was wondering if anyone has any advice about parts, assembly, etc. I've boon researching and have created a wish list on Newegg of the parts that I think will work. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know![/quote]
    Check out this site. DIRECTRON
    You can build your system from scratch and it will suggest options for all of the compatible hardware and price it all out at the same time. No obligation.
    I've used this for my last few build your own systems. Competitive with Newegg also.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

-G

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a die-hard Lakers fan living in San Diego and i want to be able to stream lakers games onto my computer and watch them on my 23" HD LCD computer monitors instead of pitching for an expensive HDTV. Is there a good TV Tuner/Adapter out there i can hook up to a PCI slot?

Also, is hyper-threading worth the extra coin? I've been going over my wish list for my new computer and i'm not sure i want to pitch (it's getting expensive!).

I've decided to go with a full tower steel case because it won't be moving around all that much. (Antec 1200)

I'm thinking:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
    - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Powering my rig with a CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Case has 5 120mm Fans cooling everything, 2 in the back, 3 in the front as well as a 200mm top fan.

I'm pretty excited, this is going to be the first machine i'm building myself! Any feedback is welcome!

-G

Thanks
    [quote name='Padawan15' post='789057' date='14-Aug-2009 19:09']I am a die-hard Lakers fan living in San Diego and i want to be able to stream lakers games onto my computer and watch them on my 23" HD LCD computer monitors instead of pitching for an expensive HDTV. Is there a good TV Tuner/Adapter out there i can hook up to a PCI slot?

Also, is hyper-threading worth the extra coin? I've been going over my wish list for my new computer and i'm not sure i want to pitch (it's getting expensive!).

I've decided to go with a full tower steel case because it won't be moving around all that much. (Antec 1200)

I'm thinking:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
    - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Powering my rig with a CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Case has 5 120mm Fans cooling everything, 2 in the back, 3 in the front as well as a 200mm top fan.

I'm pretty excited, this is going to be the first machine i'm building myself! Any feedback is welcome!

-G[/quote]
    Lakers??? Being a Boston Celtic fan, , I feel your pain!!

I can't say one way or another about the hyper-threading thing but overall it looks like a hot system choice there. I am a loyal follower of Gigabyte MBs and products. In fact, that's my present board that you have chosen. It's a good rock solid, well constructed and designed one.
    Good luck in the construction project. It's actually quite easy and satisfying when you power up for the first time and it WORKS!
    Not even any smoke!!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='789063' date='14-Aug-2009 17:23']Lakers??? Being a Boston Celtic fan, , I feel your pain!!

I can't say one way or another about the hyper-threading thing but overall it looks like a hot system choice there. I am a loyal follower of Gigabyte MBs and products. In fact, that's my present board that you have chosen. It's a good rock solid, well constructed and designed one.
    Good luck in the construction project. It's actually quite easy and satisfying when you power up for the first time and it WORKS!
    Not even any smoke!! [/quote]

Thanks, i spent a while researching and looking around before choosing these parts. It's gratifying to hear good stuff about the mb!

And as for the Boston Celtics... well we all have our flaws! (jkjk... kinda haha)

-G

Thanks
    [quote name='Padawan15' post='789057' date='14-Aug-2009 19:09']Case has 5 120mm Fans cooling everything, 2 in the back, 3 in the front as well as a 200mm top fan.[/quote]
    I'd be excited,too. Five case fans(!!??), 1 on top, 1 PSU fan, 1 fan on the CPU heatsink, and 1, maybe 2 (SLI, CrossFire) GPU fans. That's potentially 10 fans. You better factor in ear protectors... isn't that thing going to sound like a 747 taking off?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='789119' date='15-Aug-2009 10:17']I'd be excited,too. Five case fans(!!??), 1 on top, 1 PSU fan, 1 fan on the CPU heatsink, and 1, maybe 2 (SLI, CrossFire) GPU fans. That's potentially 10 fans. You better factor in ear protectors... isn't that thing going to sound like a 747 taking off?[/quote]

I had 7 fans on my last box and have 6 now. The most important thing is choosing fans with the lowest noise level. All combined they only have a very low background sound. I also lined the case with 3/4" acoustic foam padding, just leaving the air vents open and exposed. My chair is only about 18" from the desktop box, so it's not very far from me. I have to look for the HDD LED to tell if the drive is being accessed.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After reading about your usage and then seeing your case choice it appears to me as a bit distracting with all the lights glowing and flashing during a game is a possible annoyance. If that is true or not you should look at NZXT Panzer Box as a more compact option. Since it looks like only two hard drives are going to be used and raid was not mentioned also look at Velociraptor 150gig for your primary drive. Another product to look at is this CPU cooler. Space, appearance and personal taste are always different so get what works for you.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thanks
    [quote name='sinjin' post='789141' date='15-Aug-2009 14:33']After reading about your usage and then seeing your case choice it appears to me as a bit distracting with all the lights glowing and flashing during a game is a possible annoyance. If that is true or not you should look at NZXT Panzer Box as a more compact option. Since it looks like only two hard drives are going to be used and raid was not mentioned also look at Velociraptor 150gig for your primary drive. Another product to look at is this CPU cooler. Space, appearance and personal taste are always different so get what works for you.[/quote]
    sinjin,
    What lights are you talking about, that are glowing and flashing? Power and HDD LEDs are all most cases have. If that does get to you, you can always use a bit of electrical tape over them. No harm doing that.
    Case choice is many times a personal option but limiting the HDD to 150 gigs when the price and performance of much larger drives, shouldn't be so, since they are dirt cheap these days.
    That CPU cooler you mention is shown as not available now but if it's what I think it is, they are really unnecessary unless you are seriously overclocking the CPU.

But I agree, space, appearance and personal taste are always different. Get what works for you.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob...
    The Antec 1200 Case chosen by Padawan15 has a lot of lights and on the wish list posted in the first message in this thread he has extra lights on a supplemental case fan. Putting tape over them as you suggest would make this case look like it has a mummy inside. (Check the photos at the link provided)
    I am partial to faster 10,000rpm hard drives, they make everything faster for what I do. The hard drive is usually the bottleneck for data transfer and anything you can do to help widen the pipe helps.
    As far as cooling goes as stated we are all different. My current box is fluid cooled as in my work all four cores of my QX6700 @3.2ghz are routinely at 100% such that cooler is better.

I hope that this clears up my point of view.

Thanks
    [quote name='sinjin' post='789172' date='15-Aug-2009 18:39']I hope that this clears up my point of view.[/quote]

Sure! We all have different points of view.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the advantages of a SSD? Can i use one drive strictly for booting/processing and another for mass storage without slowing my system?

-G

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Padawan15' post='789395' date='17-Aug-2009 21:08']What are the advantages of a SSD? Can i use one drive strictly for booting/processing and another for mass storage without slowing my system?

-G[/quote]
    An SSD is much quieter, uses much less power, and can be much much faster than a hard drive.

You can certainly use one for booting and applications, and another for mass storage, or maybe you could have some shared storage somewhere on your home network and just use SSDs in super-quiet super-fast long-battery-life wireless laptops.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Padawan15' post='789395' date='17-Aug-2009 15:08']What are the advantages of a SSD? Can i use one drive strictly for booting/processing and another for mass storage without slowing my system?

-G[/quote]
    At the risk of coming in a day late and dollar short ...

I like your choices. As for an SS Ddrive, if you can afford it - I say go for it. I picked up a 64GB SSD and used in a system for OS and application software. Have a 500GB hard drive fro storage. I recently picked up an external Hard Drive for backup at Walmart ... 1TB (TeraByte) for $100.00.

Walmart also has a Seagate FreeAgent Desk Drive, 1.5TB 7200 RPM, USB 2.0 - Silver.

For a small price - you can add the security of backing up the entire system.
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast