New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Woody:

I have been a fan longer than I can remember, but it probably extends to the dark misty days of Word 6 for Windows. You wrote a book - the best computer book I ever read BTW - called "Underground Guide to Word 6 for Windows" or something like that.

I spent an afternoon with that book and after that, I have been able to make Word do anything I wanted it to do. (That doesn't include macros, because I get a rash around macros.)

"The formatting is all in the paragraph mark," you wrote. And I was off to the races! I SNEERED at people who still pined for Word Perfect and "reveal codes."

Now, Great Woodsman, I come to you with a simple request: I've been "upgraded" (HAH!) to Office 2007, and my efficiency and confidence using Word 2007 has diminished greatly. And so I ask: Can you recommend a book on Word 2007 that will help me grasp the concepts behind this hideous mess?

Thank you for your time.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix, AZ

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='50GreenDodge' post='788363' date='10-Aug-2009 20:35']Dear Woody:

I have been a fan longer than I can remember, but it probably extends to the dark misty days of Word 6 for Windows. You wrote a book - the best computer book I ever read BTW - called "Underground Guide to Word 6 for Windows" or something like that.

I spent an afternoon with that book and after that, I have been able to make Word do anything I wanted it to do. (That doesn't include macros, because I get a rash around macros.)

"The formatting is all in the paragraph mark," you wrote. And I was off to the races! I SNEERED at people who still pined for Word Perfect and "reveal codes."

Now, Great Woodsman, I come to you with a simple request: I've been "upgraded" (HAH!) to Office 2007, and my efficiency and confidence using Word 2007 has diminished greatly. And so I ask: Can you recommend a book on Word 2007 that will help me grasp the concepts behind this hideous mess?

Thank you for your time.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix, AZ[/quote]

Here is a SITE you might find interesting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='788369' date='10-Aug-2009 21:36']Here is a SITE you might find interesting.[/quote]
    Thank you peterg. I just opened the site. It looks interesting and I shall have a further look.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Obviously, I'd love to promote my own book, but it's more of a niche publication -- geared toward law firms and other organizations that need to format pleadings and other complex documents. It's not a complete reference (and isn't intended to be one).

I haven't bought Herb Tyson's book yet, but it's on my list. From what I've seen of it, it looks very helpful -- full of the kinds of "underground" knowledge found in Woody's books and online postings. The writing also appears to be lucid.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='788722' date='12-Aug-2009 18:00']Obviously, I'd love to promote my own book, but it's more of a niche publication -- geared toward law firms and other organizations that need to format pleadings and other complex documents. It's not a complete reference (and isn't intended to be one).

I haven't bought Herb Tyson's book yet, but it's on my list. From what I've seen of it, it looks very helpful -- full of the kinds of "underground" knowledge found in Woody's books and online postings. The writing also appears to be lucid.

Jan[/quote]

There is a multitude of sites and books on the subject, but one suggestion I might make if it is for legal documents is to purchase WP no matter how much of a Word man you may be. The reason is that you will almost certainly receive with it a mountain of templates for legal documents, or links to them, free or otherwise. It is also often priced at a significant discount.

I have WP X3 Office, Student and Teacher version, which came bundled with a computer I purchased at a major outlet, which suggests that the questionable-sounding version must have been with the full consent and certainly the knowledge of Corel. I think it was shortly before X4 was released. That version at that time was extremely well-integrated with Word, with conversions both ways, and WordPerfect Mail (which no one ever seems to mention) fully capable of import and export from and to Outlook. It also had native PDF capabilities long before Microsoft. X3 is compatible with both Vista and Windows 7, but only if you have the necessary patches, which no longer appear to be avalable on their site.

It's a common enough program in the niche to which you alluded, so it would be a wise investment if you are writing on the subject.

Thanks
    [quote name='50GreenDodge' post='788363' date='10-Aug-2009 17:35']Dear Woody:
    And so I ask: Can you recommend a book on Word 2007 that will help me grasp the concepts behind this hideous mess?[/quote]
    I should have mentioned this before... To reach Woody personally, you should visit AskWoody.com. And his book on the Office 2007 suite can be purchased from Amazon: Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2007. That might be more than you're looking for if the other applications are of little interest.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Peter,

Actually, I'm not any kind of man... I'm a woman. ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions. In fact, I do work with -- and provide training in -- WordPerfect as well as Word. (I'm a legal word processor and software trainer, and have been in the biz a long time. Also am the webmistress and principal administrator of the WordPerfect Universe web site -- www.wpuniverse.com -- which is a forum somewhat similar to this one, but for people who use WP and the other products in the WPO suite.)

I have several ideas for additional books, one of which might be similar to the Word 2007 book. Can't go into details about that one just yet. The next project probably will be a "Computers for Seniors" book, in part because I teach similarly-named classes for UCLA Extension and I already have copious handouts that I can incorporate into (and update for) a book.

Incidentally, I think Corel chose "X3" for as the name for the penultimate version of WordPerfect mainly because of the superstition surrounding the number 13. It has caused some confusion, but most people seem to figure it out eventually. Corel stuck with the X for version 14 (X4); not sure what they'll do with the next version.

Jan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Jack:

I couldn't agree with you more! The first Word book I read, back in 98ish, was by Woody et al. I learned so much that I went out and bought an Excel book too. It was Woody's book that finally convinced me to stop fighting Word and work with it (I was a WordPerfect user). It was great! I have never found another book that was as interesting or exciting (if you can call a computer book exciting). I have read many good MS books since but nothing like that.

However, since I also work in the legal industry I just ordered Jan's book. I looks like it may be just what I've been looking for for several months. I might add that if I had not read this post I may never have known about it. Jan, thanks for discretely plugging your book.

Caroline
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Caroline,

Thank you -- very much -- for buying a copy of my book! I hope it proves useful to you.

Feel free to drop me a note at the e-mail address listed at the end of the Introduction if you have any questions or comments. I'll do my best to help.

I agree that Woody's books have set the bar very high. Donna Payne's "Word for the Law Firm" series has been very helpful to me, as well, though they're somewhat general about legal-specific tasks. When I found out that Donna wasn't planning to write a sequel for Word 2007, I decided to step in, since I already had written lots of handouts for my training clients. I updated the handouts and wrote a significant amount of new material (as well as transitions and introductory passages), and the rest is history.

As I'm encountering specific issues in the law firms where I work and do trainings, I am putting together additional handouts (and revising some of the existing ones). I'll probably do a second edition of the book later this year or early in 2010; I'm thinking of making the additions and changes available separately in a (modestly priced) supplement.

I so appreciate your patronage.

Best,
    Jan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='789616' date='18-Aug-2009 12:23']Caroline,

Thank you -- very much -- for buying a copy of my book! I hope it proves useful to you.

Feel free to drop me a note at the e-mail address listed at the end of the Introduction if you have any questions or comments. I'll do my best to help.
    Best,
    Jan[/quote]

Jan, I look forward to reading your book and contacting you. I didn't mention it, but I too am a software trainer and used to do word processing (I actually miss it).
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land