Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I've a strange problem which people I've spoken to can't understand - and it's been impossible to demonstrate to them as, whilst it's persistent. it's also intermittent and won't happen "on cue" - in other words, I can't 'force' it to happen, which would at least be a clue to the problem !

I've got a Dell XPS710, Intel Core2 Quad 2.40Ghz, 3Gb memory running Vista Premium. All patches are up to date. I run IE7 over a broadband connection. It's a completely stand-alone set-up, with no other user involved.

For various periods I have no problems at all surfing the net, including acting as Moderator on a couple of chat sites ; then, suddenly, in trying to browse from one window to the next, IE7 seems to hang on me ; the green progress bar will light up, go to about 1/3 or 1/2 way, then stop. I can click the 'Back' button and go back and forth through (presumably) cached screens, but I am simply unable to pull up a new screen (hope this is making sense to someone). This affects any and all tabs I have open (usually 4 but seldom more than 6 at a time).

Windows Mail is also affected at such times, failing to connect. However, in neither case (IE7 or Mail) do I get any fault notification from the system, and all my local programmes work fine.

This can happen after I've been on a very short time (say 10 to 15 minutes), or after several hours - perhaps sometime in the evening although I've been on the internet all day. There appears no regularity ; on some days I get no trouble at all ; on others (like yesterday) it happens 6 or 8 times.

I have tried simply shutting down IE7 and Windows Mail, also logging off and back on again, in both cases with no success. I have to perform a complete cold reboot. At such times, whilst when everything is working well a close-down takes just a few seconds, in these cases it can take several minutes ; indeed I sometimes have to click on 'Shut Down' several times before the closing procedure works.

I run Zone Alarm and AVG, and also scan regularly with RegCure. My internet connection has been checked several times by my ISP, and indeed I do not get this problem when I use my laptop with a wireless connection to the same hub.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this broadband connection a "shared cable" or a "DSL" type of connection?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788431' date='11-Aug-2009 14:45']Is this broadband connection a "shared cable" or a "DSL" type of connection?[/quote]

It's a DSL connection Dave