Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis TrueImage Backup 2010 beta 2 is available free to those willing to take it for a spin, and it comes with 50 GB of free online storage. The 50 GB of online storage sounds fabulous at a time when so many are making room for Windows 7, until you pause to think of the upload plus download times for 50 GB for most of us. The price is certainly right ($0 until October 1) and it would be refreshing if it turned out to be competitive once released.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='788427' date='11-Aug-2009 09:36']Acronis TrueImage Backup 2010 beta 2 is available free to those willing to take it for a spin, and it comes with 50 GB of free online storage. The 50 GB of online storage sounds fabulous at a time when so many are making room for Windows 7, until you pause to think of the upload plus download times for 50 GB for most of us. The price is certainly right ($0 until October 1) and it would be refreshing if it turned out to be competitive once released.[/quote]
    I'm currently Beta testing this with Acronis ( as I have done for the last 4 or 5 versions ) using it on my Vista partition.
    I'm not really interested in the 50 gig online storage because I don't care for storing my data anywhere but "in house".
    However, there does seem to be some new features that look good but don't think I can disclose them publicly yet.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='788460' date='11-Aug-2009 18:23']...here does seem to be some new features that look good but don't think I can disclose them publicly yet.[/quote]
    Even though they are allowing anyone to download and try the new version?

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='788464' date='11-Aug-2009 13:36']Even though they are allowing anyone to download and try the new version?[/quote]
    That's the agreement made when I first started Beta testing for Acronis. I hadn't bothered to see if that was changed or not, so I'll continue on as at first.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='788460' date='11-Aug-2009 13:23']I'm currently Beta testing this with Acronis ( as I have done for the last 4 or 5 versions ) using it on my Vista partition.
    I'm not really interested in the 50 gig online storage because I don't care for storing my data anywhere but "in house".
    However, there does seem to be some new features that look good but don't think I can disclose them publicly yet.[/quote]

Well, I have the beta too, even if I haven't installed it yet.

Too few people make the distinction between systems and data: my data stays where it belongs, to the extent that I can keep it there, but if I have a working system with few distinguishing features (stipped of Office, for example, which is readily replaceable) but all of the right drivers and that sort of thing, then I would be happy to get it out of the way and store it on the remote server in case the new setup is a dud. I also have an astronomical number of fonts for which the replacement cost is very high and which required extensive organization and still more re-organization. They consume very little storage, but I would be happy to have them out of the way and available to any new installation or existing computer of mine, for safety and convenience.

In the meantime, I am faced with a user manual that is upwards of 200 pages in length before I can even feel safe in starting the contraption, and any tips you let slip through your veil of secrecy might prove helpful. I should add that I am considering trying it out under my Windows 7 Ultimate RTM on a computer on which everything, with one exception, is non-beta. The exception is Kaspersky, which at this writing is the only anti-virus available for Windows 7 that I am aware of. It is all strictly conventional and works remarkably well.

The system has Windows backup as well, which is the reason I thought I might try it here, since it is obviously calculated to come out about the same time as the system itself, and it will give me some basis for comparison.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you can help. I have Acronis TI9 running windows xp sp2, and have just received a cut price offer to update to Acronis Home 2009. I have previously updated from TI7 & TI8.
    Should I wait and see if Acronis TrueImage Backup 2010 beta 2 will be better or should I save my money and stick with TI9 as I cannot see myself upgrading to Windows 7 for a long time?
    Any comments appreciated.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bobjacq' post='788966' date='14-Aug-2009 09:17']Perhaps you can help. I have Acronis TI9 running windows xp sp2, and have just received a cut price offer to update to Acronis Home 2009. I have previously updated from TI7 & TI8.
    Should I wait and see if Acronis TrueImage Backup 2010 beta 2 will be better or should I save my money and stick with TI9 as I cannot see myself upgrading to Windows 7 for a long time?
    Any comments appreciated.[/quote]

I, too, received that offer. The beta is offered if you go to the Acronis site and poke around a bit, and it does tend to signal that there is a new version in the works and you will be able to upgrade to that, and you might even get a better deal on it if you try the beta and provide some feedback. Only time will tell how valuable it is.

In present circumstances, when migrating to Win 7, I have decided that any beta is unacceptable for backup, quite apart from its adding to the learning curve for new software. Once I am in Win 7, as I am on one computer, then I might give it a shot, but Acronis TI 10 (not 2010) works perfectly well and my (Ultimate) Win 7 has both MS Backup and Image. ShadowProtect remains my preference, but it is too expensive for me.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='788475' date='11-Aug-2009 14:26']Too few people make the distinction between systems and data: my data stays where it belongs, to the extent that I can keep it there, but if I have a working system with few distinguishing features (stipped of Office, for example, which is readily replaceable) but all of the right drivers and that sort of thing, then I would be happy to get it out of the way and store it on the remote server in case the new setup is a dud. I also have an astronomical number of fonts for which the replacement cost is very high and which required extensive organization and still more re-organization. They consume very little storage, but I would be happy to have them out of the way and available to any new installation or existing computer of mine, for safety and convenience.

In the meantime, I am faced with a user manual that is upwards of 200 pages in length before I can even feel safe in starting the contraption, and any tips you let slip through your veil of secrecy might prove helpful. I should add that I am considering trying it out under my Windows 7 Ultimate RTM on a computer on which everything, with one exception, is non-beta. The exception is Kaspersky, which at this writing is the only anti-virus available for Windows 7 that I am aware of. It is all strictly conventional and works remarkably well.

The system has Windows backup as well, which is the reason I thought I might try it here, since it is obviously calculated to come out about the same time as the system itself, and it will give me some basis for comparison.[/quote]
    The question of using off line storage is an individual one and if you feel OK with it, fine... I don't.

So far as the "veil of secrecy" is concerned, I thought I explained the fact that going back to Beta testing the older versions, there was an agreement to not publicize details of the the Beta. The prime reason was because a Beta IS Beta and may resemble the gold version or not. I guess there was also a question of competition, maybe?
    At any rate, I have decided to continue that agreement with this current Beta. I really have not checked to see if it still applies now or not. All I will say is that I have it running on both partitions of Vista and WIn7 without any major problems.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='789032' date='14-Aug-2009 14:15']The question of using off line storage is an individual one and if you feel OK with it, fine... I don't.

So far as the "veil of secrecy" is concerned, I thought I explained the fact that going back to Beta testing the older versions, there was an agreement to not publicize details of the the Beta. The prime reason was because a Beta IS Beta and may resemble the gold version or not. I guess there was also a question of competition, maybe?
    At any rate, I have decided to continue that agreement with this current Beta. I really have not checked to see if it still applies now or not. All I will say is that I have it running on both partitions of Vista and WIn7 without any major problems. [/quote]

The 'veil of secrecy' was picked up from Stuart's teasing remark, and since I presume that you are a true beta tester and got in at the start, I have no wish to encourage you to violate any agreement made at the time at which you undertook to perform the testing; I congratulate you for your integrity.

The fact that they have now offered it openly to a much larger userbase, comprised of prospective customers, is of great interest to those of us who are exactly that: prospective customers. From the look of things they have pretty well nailed down when it is to go gold, and this is the final fling to look for both bugs and customers by letting lots of people play with it. I may be in the market for this and I will keep an eye on it whether or not I install it.