Thread: Sorting

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a spreadsheet that has four rows as part of the "header". Most of the time the columns have the autofilter button but is not filtered when sorting.

I have always been able to sort the data by selecting any cell within the spreadsheet and using the easy A-Z or Z-A icons from the toolbar. The sorting has always been perfect and easy.

For some reason, I can't do that anymore. It includes the last header row in the sort. I now have to select all of the cells and go thru the menu etc. The spreadsheet has close to 600 rows and that can be a little tedious. Someone else on this forum had the same problem but his fix didn't work for me.

Anyone have a clue as to what could have happened and how to get it back?

Thanks,
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Excel can handle only one header row with field names. So you must insert a blank row above the last header row, as in this screenshot:

[attachment=85062:x.png]

This will enable you to click anywhere in the table and use the sort buttons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (4.1 KB, 3 views)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for the reply. My 3rd row is blank as well. I just highlighted it and hit delete on the keyboard just in case something (like a space or something) was there. Tried it again but no difference. It's still including row 4 in it's sorting.
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Click in the table and select Data | Sort. Make sure that the "Header row" radio button is selected. Excel should remember this next time you sort using the toolbar buttons.

Another way to force Excel to see the top row as a header is to format it differently, for example to make it bold if the rest of the table is not bold.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I resorted with the header button on and reformatted the header row to Bold. For some reason, it didn't work.

I don't understand what's happened. It used to work just fine. Could it be that some of the entries have different format? Should that matter?
    Louise

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just another thought. It sorted fine using the Data / Sort, just not using the A-Z. It didn't remember. Also the header row has always been colored as well. Now it's colored and bold.

Thanks,
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you post a stripped down copy of your worksheet? Remove or alter sensitive data from the copy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok...... now Excel is playing tricks on me.

I saved the spreadsheet and was preparing it for posting. I was going to change some of the information in order to keep them private. I removed about 500 rows at random, saved it, and just for fun, I clicked on the sort button and it worked as before. Didn't matter what column or row, it sorted correctly, leaving the header row alone. Now I'm really confused. I can't possibly go thru all the rows and find out what's different. I had selected each column and formatted them so they would be the same but that didn't work originally.

Not sure we can fix this one since I don't know what got eliminated.
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your original workbook still have the problem if you quit Excel and reopen it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes.
    Louise

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

Problem solved (I think). I had some 'comments or notes' out in adjacent columns for a couple of rows that were not 'covered' by the headers. Once I deleted those columns it worked fine again. So I'll either leave it the way it is or add some headers!

Thanks again!
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! We wouldn't easily have found that just by discussing it in this topic.