New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this sound simple, but I can't center a single line of text on a new page in Word 2007 (Home and Student). I've used Word for years and years and, before, all I had to do was select a line of text and hit the Center button. But, in this new version, I can't. At least not consistently. And when it does work, which is rarely, I cannot determine what made the difference. I am using Vista and am wondering if this is a bug in the program or a bug in Word??? I can find no reference to this problem on the Internet. This is very strange. Anyone have the same problem??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Perhaps the style you're using has been set to update automatically. This would globally apply all changes that you make locally.

If you're using the default Normal style, you must use VBA to turn this off:
    - Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    - Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
    - Type or copy/paste the following line:

ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleNormal).Automatically Update = False

- Press Enter.
    - Switch back to Word.

Thanks
    Hi ribbons55,

I have Word 2007 Pro and do not have this issue. Unless...

Do you work with Show/Hide set to Hide? Can you see the Paragraph marks as you work? If I use Line Breaks (Shift-Enter) instead of just the Enter key when creating new paragraphs, then it doesn't matter what I select. If I highlight the first line and click Center, all text separated by Line Breaks will Center. See my graphic, below.

Just a thought!
    Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Kim, I checked on your response and I did use the Enter Key, in this instance. But, thanks anyway.

Hans, I will give your suggestion a try and post here what I find out. Thanks so much.

Thanks
    [quote name='ribbons55' post='788595' date='12-Aug-2009 05:59']Hi All,

Kim, I checked on your response and I did use the Enter Key, in this instance. But, thanks anyway.

Hans, I will give your suggestion a try and post here what I find out. Thanks so much.[/quote]

ribbons55,

If you'd like to post the document, I'll be happy to take a look at it. Please remove any sensitive info, first.

Best, Kim