Thanks
    I figured that even though I am running Windows 7 (b7100), that this seems more a hardware question:

I have an external WD 750GB Book. Over the last few days, it started acting very flaky, and ultimately wouldn't read. Ultimately I decided to re-format the drive. It wouldn't format. It kept erroring out.

Now, all of a sudden, it's recognized and I can read and write to it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted? If so, how can I get past the error? Do a "long format"?

If not, then how can the drive possibly be reading/writing?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 951 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788738' date='12-Aug-2009 20:31']I figured that even though I am running Windows 7 (b7100), that this seems more a hardware question:

I have an external WD 750GB Book. Over the last few days, it started acting very flaky, and ultimately wouldn't read. Ultimately I decided to re-format the drive. It wouldn't format. It kept erroring out.

Now, all of a sudden, it's recognized and I can read and write to it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted? If so, how can I get past the error? Do a "long format"?

If not, then how can the drive possibly be reading/writing?[/quote]

1.) Could be a drive problem. Firmware or an electrical issue. Have you checked the USB cable? Have you checked the drive's power cable?
    2.) Could be a PC hardware problem. Malfunction of USB port. Power issue. Have you tried it on a different port?
    3.) PC software problem. USB driver.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='788741' date='12-Aug-2009 18:51']1.) Could be a drive problem. Firmware or an electrical issue. Have you checked the USB cable? Have you checked the drive's power cable?
    2.) Could be a PC hardware problem. Malfunction of USB port. Power issue. Have you tried it on a different port?
    3.) PC software problem. USB driver.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I tried a different cable first. That seemed to help -- for a while. Then I did a repair (upgrade) but that was no help.

Then, all of a sudden, it was working -- so I was able to grab most of the important stuff off of it. Then it went again.

The I thought, many drives at some point can need a reformat, so that's where I headed next.

And it failed three times -- after running for some 10 minutes or so.

And now I can read and write to / from it.

So I'm not only baffled, but certainly worried about whether I should/can depend on that drive any longer.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788743' date='12-Aug-2009 23:57']... worried about whether I should/can depend on that drive any longer.[/quote]
    Just an opinion, but I wouldn't count on it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted?
    Can't you at a minimum, right-click, properties to see how much is there?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could be that you are still running a Beta version of Windows 7.
    You are going to have to wait until you can get a "Retail" copy to find out for sure.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='788771' date='13-Aug-2009 04:30']Just an opinion, but I wouldn't count on it.

Can't you at a minimum, right-click, properties to see how much is there?[/quote]

Doc, I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788790' date='13-Aug-2009 06:59']Could be that you are still running a Beta version of Windows 7.
    You are going to have to wait until you can get a "Retail" copy to find out for sure.[/quote]

What difference could that make, Dave? I'm running the RC b7100...

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788935' date='14-Aug-2009 02:49']Doc, I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --[/quote]
    I'm afraid I haven't done any formatting in Win 7 yet, so I don't know if it "grabs" any drive space for itself.

BUT, nevertheless with the flaky behavior you've seen, I wouldn't trust the drive any longer and think I would replace it. I can't believe how far down prices have come! Here's one where you can buy 1 T size drives for right around $100 something! ( external usb drives - Buy.com )

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788935' date='14-Aug-2009 07:49']I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --[/quote]
    Did you do the "disk manufacturers' gigabytes" to "power-of-two gigabytes" conversion?

Disk manufacturers regard 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes whereas we mortals work in binary Gigabytes (the unit is actually called a Gibibyte - the "bi" means "binary", but rarely seen) which is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

So if the disk manufacturer tells you that you have bought 750 GB of disk space, it is actually 750 / 1.073741824 = 698.5 GB.

Of course, that's before a good few MB is removed for the MFT and other such overheads...
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788936' date='13-Aug-2009 23:50']What difference could that make, Dave? I'm running the RC b7100...

Chuck[/quote]

Because RTM is Build 7600 and there was a lot of TWEAKING going on.

There were MANY issues submitted using large external USB drives, one of them that I know about was about not reporting the correct size of a external drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788995' date='14-Aug-2009 07:47']Because RTM is Build 7600 and there was a lot of TWEAKING going on.

There were MANY issues submitted using large external USB drives, one of them that I know about was about not reporting the correct size of a external drive.[/quote]

Dave/BATcher:

According to WD, it's 750 gigs ( http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?fid=...amp;wdc_lang=en ). According to your math BAT, the 698 appears correct.

So who is right, and how is this allowed to be (this discrepancy), and then, should I trust a drive that didn't even want to format, even though the size seems correct, and who has an aspirin, 'cause now I have a headache?

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='788944' date='14-Aug-2009 03:24']I'm afraid I haven't done any formatting in Win 7 yet, so I don't know if it "grabs" any drive space for itself.

BUT, nevertheless with the flaky behavior you've seen, I wouldn't trust the drive any longer and think I would replace it. I can't believe how far down prices have come! Here's one where you can buy 1 T size drives for right around $100 something! ( external usb drives - Buy.com )[/quote]

Thanks Al, I'll check it out.

Chuck