Thanks
    I figured that even though I am running Windows 7 (b7100), that this seems more a hardware question:

I have an external WD 750GB Book. Over the last few days, it started acting very flaky, and ultimately wouldn't read. Ultimately I decided to re-format the drive. It wouldn't format. It kept erroring out.

Now, all of a sudden, it's recognized and I can read and write to it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted? If so, how can I get past the error? Do a "long format"?

If not, then how can the drive possibly be reading/writing?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788738' date='12-Aug-2009 20:31']I figured that even though I am running Windows 7 (b7100), that this seems more a hardware question:

I have an external WD 750GB Book. Over the last few days, it started acting very flaky, and ultimately wouldn't read. Ultimately I decided to re-format the drive. It wouldn't format. It kept erroring out.

Now, all of a sudden, it's recognized and I can read and write to it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted? If so, how can I get past the error? Do a "long format"?

If not, then how can the drive possibly be reading/writing?[/quote]

1.) Could be a drive problem. Firmware or an electrical issue. Have you checked the USB cable? Have you checked the drive's power cable?
    2.) Could be a PC hardware problem. Malfunction of USB port. Power issue. Have you tried it on a different port?
    3.) PC software problem. USB driver.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='788741' date='12-Aug-2009 18:51']1.) Could be a drive problem. Firmware or an electrical issue. Have you checked the USB cable? Have you checked the drive's power cable?
    2.) Could be a PC hardware problem. Malfunction of USB port. Power issue. Have you tried it on a different port?
    3.) PC software problem. USB driver.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I tried a different cable first. That seemed to help -- for a while. Then I did a repair (upgrade) but that was no help.

Then, all of a sudden, it was working -- so I was able to grab most of the important stuff off of it. Then it went again.

The I thought, many drives at some point can need a reformat, so that's where I headed next.

And it failed three times -- after running for some 10 minutes or so.

And now I can read and write to / from it.

So I'm not only baffled, but certainly worried about whether I should/can depend on that drive any longer.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788743' date='12-Aug-2009 23:57']... worried about whether I should/can depend on that drive any longer.[/quote]
    Just an opinion, but I wouldn't count on it.

Is it possible that the format took on part of the drive, but that the whole drive isn't formatted?
    Can't you at a minimum, right-click, properties to see how much is there?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could be that you are still running a Beta version of Windows 7.
    You are going to have to wait until you can get a "Retail" copy to find out for sure.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='788771' date='13-Aug-2009 04:30']Just an opinion, but I wouldn't count on it.

Can't you at a minimum, right-click, properties to see how much is there?[/quote]

Doc, I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788790' date='13-Aug-2009 06:59']Could be that you are still running a Beta version of Windows 7.
    You are going to have to wait until you can get a "Retail" copy to find out for sure.[/quote]

What difference could that make, Dave? I'm running the RC b7100...

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788935' date='14-Aug-2009 02:49']Doc, I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --[/quote]
    I'm afraid I haven't done any formatting in Win 7 yet, so I don't know if it "grabs" any drive space for itself.

BUT, nevertheless with the flaky behavior you've seen, I wouldn't trust the drive any longer and think I would replace it. I can't believe how far down prices have come! Here's one where you can buy 1 T size drives for right around $100 something! ( external usb drives - Buy.com )

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788935' date='14-Aug-2009 07:49']I did check the properties, and it's showing roughly 700 gigs of capacity...I believe it's supposed to have 750 gigs --[/quote]
    Did you do the "disk manufacturers' gigabytes" to "power-of-two gigabytes" conversion?

Disk manufacturers regard 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes whereas we mortals work in binary Gigabytes (the unit is actually called a Gibibyte - the "bi" means "binary", but rarely seen) which is 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

So if the disk manufacturer tells you that you have bought 750 GB of disk space, it is actually 750 / 1.073741824 = 698.5 GB.

Of course, that's before a good few MB is removed for the MFT and other such overheads...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='788936' date='13-Aug-2009 23:50']What difference could that make, Dave? I'm running the RC b7100...

Chuck[/quote]

Because RTM is Build 7600 and there was a lot of TWEAKING going on.

There were MANY issues submitted using large external USB drives, one of them that I know about was about not reporting the correct size of a external drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788995' date='14-Aug-2009 07:47']Because RTM is Build 7600 and there was a lot of TWEAKING going on.

There were MANY issues submitted using large external USB drives, one of them that I know about was about not reporting the correct size of a external drive.[/quote]

Dave/BATcher:

According to WD, it's 750 gigs ( http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?fid=...amp;wdc_lang=en ). According to your math BAT, the 698 appears correct.

So who is right, and how is this allowed to be (this discrepancy), and then, should I trust a drive that didn't even want to format, even though the size seems correct, and who has an aspirin, 'cause now I have a headache?

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='788944' date='14-Aug-2009 03:24']I'm afraid I haven't done any formatting in Win 7 yet, so I don't know if it "grabs" any drive space for itself.

BUT, nevertheless with the flaky behavior you've seen, I wouldn't trust the drive any longer and think I would replace it. I can't believe how far down prices have come! Here's one where you can buy 1 T size drives for right around $100 something! ( external usb drives - Buy.com )[/quote]

Thanks Al, I'll check it out.

Chuck