Thread: USB 2 or 1?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I determine if an individual physical usb connector on an xp pc provides usb 2 or usb 1?

Thanks
    [quote name='petermat' post='788831' date='13-Aug-2009 13:13']How can I determine if an individual physical usb connector on an xp pc provides usb 2 or usb 1?[/quote]

Open up Device Manager. ( Open START, type DEVMGMT.MSC ) Click on USB Controllers.
    If any of the listed USB ports are listed as "Enhanced", then you have USB 2.0
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bob - but that can't be the whole story. For example I had a pc with usb 1 on the motherboard and I bought a usb 2 card for it, so the same pc had both speeds. (its not that one I am trying to check but a laptop). That's why I was asking if there is any way of checking at the connector end, so you not only know if you have a mix, but also which connector is which speed.
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='petermat' post='788867' date='13-Aug-2009 16:09']Thanks Bob - but that can't be the whole story. For example I had a pc with usb 1 on the motherboard and I bought a usb 2 card for it, so the same pc had both speeds. (its not that one I am trying to check but a laptop). That's why I was asking if there is any way of checking at the connector end, so you not only know if you have a mix, but also which connector is which speed.[/quote]
    The easiest way to check an individual port is to simply plug a USB Thumb drive into it. Unless I'm wrong all thumb drives for the past couple of years anyway are USB 2.0. If the port is USB 1.0 you will get the infamous prompt telling you that the device could function faster, etc., etc.....
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='petermat' post='788831' date='13-Aug-2009 18:13']How can I determine if an individual physical usb connector on an xp pc provides usb 2 or usb 1?[/quote]
    Purely as a pedantic note, the most likely alternative to USB 2 is USB 1.1...! USB 2 came out in 2001.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And USB 3 will start appearing on the shelves early next year or before.

http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='788993' date='14-Aug-2009 15:42']And USB 3 will start appearing on the shelves early next year or before.[/quote]
    And it can't be too soon! Do you know how long it takes to write 1.4 TB to an external drive via its USB 2 interface?!
    BATcher

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789003' date='14-Aug-2009 08:10']And it can't be too soon! Do you know how long it takes to write 1.4 TB to an external drive via its USB 2 interface?![/quote]
    WAY to LONG?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After reading Dave's link http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html as well as Everything You Need to Know About USB 3.0, Plus First Spliced Cable Photos , I have the following obvservation/question:
    Current External USB 2.0 compliant disk drives can utilize USB 3.0 speeds with a spliced USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 cable ?
    Scott

Thanks
    [quote name='IMNetUser' post='789477' date='18-Aug-2009 08:16']After reading Dave's link http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html as well as Everything You Need to Know About USB 3.0, Plus First Spliced Cable Photos , I have the following obvservation/question:
    Current External USB 2.0 compliant disk drives can utilize USB 3.0 speeds with a spliced USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 cable ?[/quote]
    I would say the answer is no. Your external drive has a USB 2 interface, and even if you connect it to a USB 3 interface card you won't be able to drive the disk at faster than USB 2 speeds...
    BATcher