Thread: Life Skills

Thanks
    At first I thought this was a joke ... but it isn't! It appears to be entirely real. 'Check out' one or more of the units.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789000' date='15-Aug-2009 01:05']At first I thought this was a joke ... but it isn't! It appears to be entirely real. 'Check out' one or more of the units.[/quote]
    I wonder if they offer a "dumbed down" version? Kinda reminded me of this set of offerings.

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='789008' date='14-Aug-2009 16:22']I wonder if they offer a "dumbed down" version? Kinda reminded me of this set of offerings.[/quote]
    Good, if approximately spelled!

Surely one course should really have read: "Oriental Cookery - wok-ing the dog"?
    BATcher

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789011' date='15-Aug-2009 01:31']Good, if approximately spelled!

Surely one course should really have read: "Oriental Cookery - wok-ing the dog"? [/quote]

I was just reading the Cooking forum when you posted your reply.
    I'm not hungry any more.

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789000' date='14-Aug-2009 22:05']At first I thought this was a joke ... but it isn't! It appears to be entirely real. 'Check out' one or more of the units.[/quote]

I wonder how big the tax payer's grant was to fund those studies?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789000' date='14-Aug-2009 16:05']At first I thought this was a joke ... but it isn't! It appears to be entirely real. 'Check out' one or more of the units.[/quote]
    I know someone who teaches children for whom achieving these targets is very challenging. If you look at the information on the web site you will see that the purpose of these qualifications is to provide something that people of all abilities can aspire to.

It's easy to mock but teaching some people these practical skills can make an enormous difference to their lives.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='789045' date='14-Aug-2009 20:41']I know someone who teaches children for whom achieving these targets is very challenging. If you look at the information on the web site you will see that the purpose of these qualifications is to provide something that people of all abilities can aspire to.

It's easy to mock but teaching some people these practical skills can make an enormous difference to their lives.[/quote]
    Very true, Stuart - I don't think anyone was fooled into thinking the average university candidate was targeted by these courses...
    I had my "Daily Mail" hat on!
    BATcher

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789000' date='14-Aug-2009 11:05']At first I thought this was a joke ... but it isn't! It appears to be entirely real. 'Check out' one or more of the units.[/quote]

I really thought this was a joke, but according to this it isn't. I've always been baffled by the UK education system with its GCSEs (?), A levels (!?!) and O levels (??!!??). But now at least I know the definition (and can use it in its proper context) of that most British of terms: gobsmacked!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Please see StuartR's reply in this topic (it's #6). For many Loungers, setting the table or washing the dishes may seem a trivial subject, but there are people for whom this can be a challenge, and for whom the mere fact that somebody helps you attaining such a goal and rewards you when you succeed can be tremendously important.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think we need to bear in mind the fact that some kids never have to get the bus by themselves until they are teenagers.

When I was 12, (many moons ago!) I went to Secondary school (Scottish for Comprehensive or High School). My primary school was 5 minutes away on foot, and anywhere else I went, I went with my parents, usually in the car.

To get to Lawside, I had to get 2 buses and change in the centre of the town (there were no dedicated school buses taking me fro where I lived to school). The two bus-stops were ten minutes apart.

My parents both worked in jobs that started at 7am. I (and my friends) were on our own.

After succeeding in getting to school, a certificate would have been nice.

Things are actually worse now due to the increase in the number of people who own cars (my dad was unusual in having one in our neighbourhood) and ferry the kids about everywhere.

It's easy to look at these things as adults and laugh, but life isn't so straightforward when you're 12.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789143' date='16-Aug-2009 04:52']Please see StuartR's reply in this topic (it's #6). For many Loungers, setting the table or washing the dishes may seem a trivial subject, but there are people for whom this can be a challenge, and for whom the mere fact that somebody helps you attaining such a goal and rewards you when you succeed can be tremendously important.[/quote]
    This is a truly significant point. Unfortunately it also (further) blurs the distinction between what might be regarded as humour in one context, "craziness" in another, and addressing a serious issue in yet another. I guess we all need to research the background and intent before passing judgement. It's difficult in many situations.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I do agree that these things look absurd, and I feel really mean now for spoiling a good laugh.

I certainly don't think we all need to be serious about all topics all the time, but just occasionally it can be very powerful to look at the world through the eyes of those less fortunate than ourselves.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='789205' date='16-Aug-2009 20:11']I do agree that these things look absurd, and I feel really mean now for spoiling a good laugh.

I certainly don't think we all need to be serious about all topics all the time, but just occasionally it can be very powerful to look at the world through the eyes of those less fortunate than ourselves.[/quote]
    I think your point is a valid one, but also highlights one of life's own absurdities: Making light of anything is always going to be offensive or distasteful to somebody, because I guess behind all humor is something of a potentially serious nature in some context. Who said life was meant to be easy!

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='789205' date='16-Aug-2009 11:11']I do agree that these things look absurd, and I feel really mean now for spoiling a good laugh.

I certainly don't think we all need to be serious about all topics all the time, but just occasionally it can be very powerful to look at the world through the eyes of those less fortunate than ourselves.[/quote]
    The major point, IMHO, is that most of the press comments have implicitly assumed that these courses are for the 'average person', and not for those with learning difficulties, and the like. Of course most people take these sort of tasks in their stride, and never even think that they will present greater difficulties for the less able person.

We are not in the same context as the (possibly true, possibly false) story of the US University which was alleged to offer courses in Basket-Weaving to enable them to obtain the best football players, who would spend 95% of their time in training, but needed some 'intellectual study' to justify them attending the college.

Or of the (alleged) US masters thesis: "Three Comparative Methods of Dishwashing" (alternative version here!)
    BATcher