Thread: Migration paths

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    For readers with an interest in migration to Win 7, and especially for those of us who already have the software & hardware, LapLink PCmover is an extremely interesting prospect.

Edited to include:

I have just checked with LapLink, to be on the safe side, and the Migration in Place will be a free upgrade to the existing product, and it is not available yet, so I have been burnt yet again by PR people who, admittedly, did use the future tense. It could be as late as the public release, but I have the product and have never used it yet, and this time it looks perfect for the job.

Further notes on migration to Windows 7:

You should install Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor beta

Advisor.

That will tell you what is or is not compatible to some extent, but some of these things appear to be out of date, and manufacturers are now rushing to make their products compatible. You may also make the interesting discovery, if conditions are right, that your 32-bit Vista computer is capable of running 64-bit Windows 7.

Step-by-Step: Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration

Upgrade is a paper that may be more confusing than helpful, but take a look at it and see if it helps you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Your link in the last line goes to the Upgrade Advisor download. Is that what you meant for it to be?

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='789010' date='14-Aug-2009 16:31']You may also make the interesting discovery, if conditions are right, that your 32-bit Vista computer is capable of running 64-bit Windows 7.[/quote]
    Running a 64-bit operating system has been possible for quite some time, depending on your CPU chip! It's just that 64-bit support hasn't been available for some/many/most drivers, so you would take your life in your hands...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='789089' date='15-Aug-2009 06:53']Your link in the last line goes to the Upgrade Advisor download. Is that what you meant for it to be?[/quote]

Thanks Al. I inadvertently switched the links, and think it best now to just say that they are both correct but each is associated with the wrong text. The order of the text is correct.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789111' date='15-Aug-2009 06:12']Running a 64-bit operating system has been possible for quite some time, depending on your CPU chip! It's just that 64-bit support hasn't been available for some/many/most drivers, so you would take your life in your hands...[/quote]

I have not (knocking on wood) found any hardware that I can not use. We have a older HP 2100 LaserJet and and a HP 1220c Color Deskjet and both connect from the host machines just fine. The 2100 is on a XP (32) machine and the 1220 is on a Vista (32) machine.

I have a Canon LiDE 25 scanner, which Canon has provide drivers and software for Vista 64 and they work just fine with Windows 7. I have found a listing of 64 bit stuff for my Epson 1640 scanner, but have not tried itehm out, as I have it connected to my XP machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='789125' date='15-Aug-2009 11:33']I have not (knocking on wood) found any hardware that I can not use. We have a older HP 2100 LaserJet and and a HP 1220c Color Deskjet and both connect from the host machines just fine. The 2100 is on a XP (32) machine and the 1220 is on a Vista (32) machine.

I have a Canon LiDE 25 scanner, which Canon has provide drivers and software for Vista 64 and they work just fine with Windows 7. I have found a listing of 64 bit stuff for my Epson 1640 scanner, but have not tried itehm out, as I have it connected to my XP machine.[/quote]

Congratulations, and keep us posted. Is your Windows 7 32-bit or 64?

Now tell me the dark secret of how you retained all of those HP OEM software bits, if you did so, and that would make my life easier. My computers can't live without that lifeline, and I have one HP in particular that is loaded. It even has an HP remote control gadget that came with it and that I haven't yet figured out how to use. It also has a fingerprint reader, which is not the sort of thing I care to lose in the shuffle.

That is the reason the LapLink utility, for which I have about a half dozen licences and haven't used to this day, looked to be such a fabulous discovery. Now it appears I have to wait for them to release it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789111' date='15-Aug-2009 09:12']Running a 64-bit operating system has been possible for quite some time, depending on your CPU chip! It's just that 64-bit support hasn't been available for some/many/most drivers, so you would take your life in your hands...[/quote]
    Wag the dog.

With today's hotter hardware and Windows 7's greater efficiency, I suggest there may be a gold rush to the 64-bit version, and the manufacturers will jolly well come up with the drivers if they know a business opportunity when they see it. 64-bit was a niche before because it had a smaller userbase, but this may make it mainstream.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='789136' date='15-Aug-2009 11:19']Wag the dog.

With today's hotter hardware and Windows 7's greater efficiency, I suggest there may be a gold rush to the 64-bit version, and the manufacturers will jolly well come up with the drivers if they know a business opportunity when they see it. 64-bit was a niche before because it had a smaller userbase, but this may make it mainstream.[/quote]

Yes 64 bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='789134' date='15-Aug-2009 11:11']Congratulations, and keep us posted. Is your Windows 7 32-bit or 64?

Now tell me the dark secret of how you retained all of those HP OEM software bits, if you did so, and that would make my life easier. My computers can't live without that lifeline, and I have one HP in particular that is loaded. It even has an HP remote control gadget that came with it and that I haven't yet figured out how to use. It also has a fingerprint reader, which is not the sort of thing I care to lose in the shuffle.

That is the reason the LapLink utility, for which I have about a half dozen licences and haven't used to this day, looked to be such a fabulous discovery. Now it appears I have to wait for them to release it.[/quote]
    NO, it did NOT keep any of the HP stuff, it is a clean install of Win7 64 bit.
    If you want to keep your HP stuff, you are going to have to do a "Upgrade" to the same bit that your current OS is.

Or, buy a new HP machine with Win7 and get their new improved addins

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='789148' date='15-Aug-2009 15:11']NO, it did NOT keep any of the HP stuff, it is a clean install of Win7 64 bit.
    If you want to keep your HP stuff, you are going to have to do a "Upgrade" to the same bit that your current OS is.

Or, buy a new HP machine with Win7 and get their new improved addins [/quote]

Been there done that in that I have one computer running Win 7 Ultimate from a clean install. That is a computer that has little in by way of special hardware requirements and works well so far, so I am definitely in the Win 7 game.

The extreme example which I gave was a recent enough purchase that if I can ever find the receipt it may qualify me for a free upgrade, but that will have to come several months from now. I have the Ultimate version, for what it's worth, and I want it sooner rather than later (although this may be too early in the game for so important a piece of hardware). This computer really does have an array of built-in special devices such as fingerprint reader, infrared, wi-fi, webcam, microphones, and on and on, and have no desire to ruin that part of the setup.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that MOST of the OEM's will have a OS upgrade for those machines that can handle the new OS.
    These OEM upgrades included the added in stuff, as the CD/DVDs were just the new "System Recover" disks.