5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a couple small WMV files emailed to me. When I played them, there is no sound, and the video is only a small area in the middle of the player window. Checked the files on the original PC they came from, and they fill the window, and have sound. Is there a "Settings" area somewhere for Media Player, that I could see if I have something set wrong? This is an XP MCE machine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Image: try skin mode (Ctrl+2), the image should fill the window automatically.

Sound: make sure that the Volume slider has not been set to 0 and that little Mute button next to the volume slider hasn't been clicked.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789086' date='15-Aug-2009 06:12']Image: try skin mode (Ctrl+2), the image should fill the window automatically.

Sound: make sure that the Volume slider has not been set to 0 and that little Mute button next to the volume slider hasn't been clicked.[/quote]

I managed to get the image to fill the window (at least vertically, there's a little black space on the sides), but still no sound. Volume slider is all the way to the right, mute isn't on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='789090' date='15-Aug-2009 07:02']I managed to get the image to fill the window (at least vertically, there's a little black space on the sides), but still no sound. Volume slider is all the way to the right, mute isn't on.[/quote]
    If this is out of line, please ignore it, but if one of the files is not too private, you could upload it here and let one of us try to see if we get the same situation.

Otherwise, do you get sound on any other "player" you may have installed and with other files on WMP?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='789092' date='15-Aug-2009 07:15']If this is out of line, please ignore it, but if one of the files is not too private, you could upload it here and let one of us try to see if we get the same situation.

Otherwise, do you get sound on any other "player" you may have installed and with other files on WMP?[/quote]

I tried to use Media Center to play the video, but got an error message that the video encoder either has a problem or is not installed

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps the video needs a special codec to play correctly.

You might try the free VLC media player or KMPlayer - they can play almost anything.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789121' date='15-Aug-2009 10:25']Perhaps the video needs a special codec to play correctly.

You might try the free VLC media player or KMPlayer - they can play almost anything.[/quote]

That shouldn't be necessary. I've never needed anything like that to play a WMV file before, and I know the PC they came from has nothing installed that my PC doesn't (I support it <grin>). Something has probably gotten corrupted, I just need to figure out how to correct it.