Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Have learned that the lithium battery in this 1 year old HP laptop will last longer if stored out of the computer when it's used mainly on DC (which it is). I have just lowered the charge to recommended 40% and removed it (unfortunately it was left in the whole time up to now). It is now on the desk behind laptop.

Question
    How do I store it?
    In plastic for protection or could this cause moisture build up?
    In the frig to keep it cool? (temperature in room where battery is currently is around 77 degrees F usually).

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='789135' date='15-Aug-2009 19:17']Question
    How do I store it?
    In the fridge to keep it cool? (temperature in room where battery is currently is around 77 degrees F usually).[/quote]
    See Laptop Battery use and storage guidelines
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life (almost at the bottom of the long page)
    If I remove the battery & run from a power source will it lengthen battery life?

There general view seems to be to store at the 40% charge you mention and at 15C (59F in old money).
    So fridge would probably be too cold.
    Since the battery is completely sealed, there should be no problem with moisture (except possibly for the contacts).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='789135' date='15-Aug-2009 14:17'][/quote]
    Have a look at the Battery University site. There is a waelth of information on every type of battery here. This page outlines recommended storage procedures.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='789135' date='15-Aug-2009 14:17']Have learned that the lithium battery in this 1 year old HP laptop will last longer if stored out of the computer when it's used mainly on DC (which it is). I have just lowered the charge to recommended 40% and removed it (unfortunately it was left in the whole time up to now). It is now on the desk behind laptop.

Question
    How do I store it?
    In the frig to keep it cool? (temperature in room where battery is currently is around 77 degrees F usually).

Any suggestions much appreciated![/quote]
    Linda,
    I wouldn't recommend placing the battery in plastic. Possible condensation, humidity problems,etc.

Storage: From an article by Cadex Co., a manufacturer of Lithium batteries.
    ---------------------------------------------
    • Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.
    • Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.
    • Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.
    • Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)
    • Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.
    • If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

• Edited to add:
      John's post refers to the same company as I quote. Cadex. I've only copied the last part of the article with the recommendations.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    According to How to prolong lithium-based batteries, there is no difference in discharge for a battery stored at 40% charge level if stored at 0C (32F) or at 25C (77F), so I wouldn't put it in the fridge (where the risk of moisture would be higher). Under normal circumstances, a plastic bag shouldn't be a problem.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789140' date='15-Aug-2009 18:30']According to How to prolong lithium-based batteries, there is no difference in discharge for a battery stored at 40% charge level if stored at 0C (32F) or at 25C (77F), so I wouldn't put it in the fridge (where the risk of moisture would be higher). Under normal circumstances, a plastic bag shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]
    Thanks, Hans. Sorry to be late acknowledging your advice! Had missed your reply since email notification works inconsistently.

Linda